Random Chit Chat

Quick question for you Americans on the forum.
Why is the police asking drivers that they suspect are intoxicated to step out of the vehicle and preform some tasks.
Like walking in a straight line, touching your nose with your eyes closed.
What's the point?
They have alcohol testers in their police car, why not just use that?
Reason i am asking is because it's something i have thought about, and i stumpled across some DUI videos on youtube today.
So what's the deal?

Alcohol testers? I didn't know US police had such things. They must come for a price unlike practically checking for concentration/focus stability for free, or maybe it takes more time to show the test results.

Drinking here is banned so I'm just speculating really.

Wait what... You can't drink in Saudi Arabia?

Alcohol testers is a standard issue item all police vehicles have in the northern Europe at least.
Can't speak for the rest of the world.

Why is the police asking drivers that they suspect are intoxicated to step out of the vehicle and preform some tasks.
What's the point?
Reason i am asking is because it's something i have thought about, and i stumpled across some DUI videos on youtube today.
So what's the deal?
Field sobriety tests are quick and simple and usually very obvious. While the police do have breathalyzers not every patrol car will have one as they are not cheap.
Alcohol testers? I didn't know US police had such things. They must come for a price unlike practically checking for concentration/focus stability for free, or maybe it takes more time to show the test results.

Drinking here is banned so I'm just speculating really.
Saudi is a Muslim country meaning alcohol is a big no-no.

Alcohol testers is a standard issue item all police vehicles have in the northern Europe at least.
All police cars should have one, pure and simple. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking. I am all for zero tolerance across the board.

You can say that again. All drunk drivers need to be locked up and their cars taken away for good.

But in order to do that, we need to shut down the bars.

What's the point?
So what's the deal?

It doesn't happen here in Australia that I know/hear of.

We just use the standard testing equipment.

Nope, can't... if you mean alcohol :D

Hmm... those must cost at least something to the govt. to put on the police car! A good reason to resort to practical methods first, I'm guessing.

Saudi is a Muslim country meaning alcohol is a big no-no.

I heard that here is the only country in the world that has alcohol legally banned all over. Not sure tho. I've been on a Qatar airlines flight and they served alcohol. It was an international flight tho, if that's a factor.

I'm actually glad it is banned. Car accidents here, for one, are enough already without drunk driving.

TrotterTech:
Makes sense. There are more police cars per capita in USA than in the Scandinavian countries.
So equipping them all with expensive tools can be a problem.

Can't say i agree with zero tolerance though. When i enjoy a nice steak with a cold beer at a restaurant i am more than capable of driving home.
our BAC legal limit for driving is 0.05. I am find with that. I don't consider a BAC of 0.04 as being drunk.
But hey, to each his own.

Smartguy:
Yeah, if it got legal, i am sure the car accidents will increase. Properly mostly in the beginning, because you are not used to the effect yet.
So it's properly a good thing. But to me, it's just taking away freedom.

I heard that here is the only country in the world that has alcohol legally banned all over. Not sure tho. I've been on a Qatar airlines flight and they served alcohol. It was an international flight tho, if that's a factor.

I'm actually glad it is banned. Car accidents here, for one, are enough already without drunk driving.
The US tried making alcohol illegal from 1920-1933. It didn't go over so well. It's the main theme of many gangster movies.

Back
Top Bottom