Random Chit Chat

Yeah. I've installed/updated windows on a lot of computers, and HP/compaqs are consistently the worst to deal with. This specific model is a class of its own though. It takes several hours to get everything working on a fresh install. For some reason, the drivers only work if installed in a very specific order, which really doesn't make any clear sense. For example, installing the "media keys" driver causes five new hardware popups for some reason. It also has the bizarre fax modem/ HD audio thing that I never can get to work right. I've been working on that for probably two hours now and still haven't figured it out.

Last edited:
Wow, i guess that computer really is messed up if you had problems right off the bat with a clean install. i wonder if maybe a hacker screwed with the bios some how and changed things.

I bought a laptop from a pawn shop because i wanted a spare laptop, and when i went into bios and changed the boot order to boot from USB, the laptop would get a blue screen of death apon boot, but if i changed the boot order to boot from the hd, and disable the USB boot option, the laptop would work just fine with no problems.

I think who ever used to own this laptop got hacked, and the hacker messed up the bios some how. i still use it though, it works great.

Wow, i guess that computer really is messed up if you had problems right off the bat with a clean install. i wonder if maybe a hacker screwed with the bios some how and changed things.

I bought a laptop from a pawn shop because i wanted a spare laptop, and when i went into bios and changed the boot order to boot from USB, the laptop would get a blue screen of death apon boot, but if i changed the boot order to boot from the hd, and disable the USB boot option, the laptop would work just fine with no problems.

I think who ever used to own this laptop got hacked, and the hacker messed up the bios some how. i still use it though, it works great.

Nah, it's nothing like that. Just really terrible design on compaq's part. They cut costs in every possible way, which means a lot of weird multi-purpose components. It works okay once I get all the drivers installed, except for a few minor bugs, like the headphone jack not overriding the speakers. So you have to lower the volume slider to 0 (mute doesn't work) then plug headphones in, then put the volume back up. It's annoying, but doesn't really impede usability. I'd be mad if I paid a lot for it, but this a $4 thrift shop salvage so I can deal with it.

Edit: just got it. The procedure was: install UAA driver. Dig through device manager to find a "PCI Device" (which isn't flagged as having a driver issue) with the matching hardware ID for the UAA device. Uninstall the driver. Reboot then manually select the correct driver. Now it gets detected properly and lets the modem and audio device show up. Then I had to extract the .exe installers for both and point device manager to the .inf files. Now I finally have working audio.

Last edited:
Custom built computers ftw. I mean for those who know how to deal with computers.

I hate it when your own computer requires the authority (kinda) of others.

Bored, so I'm doing the Windows 95 challenge. You're not allowed to use any OS besides windows 95 for a week. Anyone else feel like partaking in the frustration? haha.

Hmm interesting, I'd hate it as today's browsers and programs would not support Windows 95.

Hmm interesting, I'd hate it as today's browsers and programs would not support Windows 95.

But you get a free AOL trial! 6.022 x 10^23 hours free!*
*Offer only valid for one week after activation

But seriously, I wonder what the molar mass of AOL discs would be. There's probably some landfill out in California that would be pretty close by now.

But yeah, that's kinda the point of the exercise. You have to figure out ways to get by with whatever you can make run on an 18 year old OS. Just getting a functioning browser was quite the experience, since practically no websites will still render in IE4. It took probably 30 minutes of struggling until I was able to find an old website with a link to netscape 4.From there, it was easier since pages would actually display (albeit incorrectly.)

Last edited:
But you get a free AOL trial! 6.022 x 10^23 hours free!*
*Offer only valid for one week after activation

But seriously, I wonder what the molar mass of AOL discs would be. There's probably some landfill out in California that would be pretty close by now.

But yeah, that's kinda the point of the exercise. You have to figure out ways to get by with whatever you can make run on an 18 year old OS. Just getting a functioning browser was quite the experience, since practically no websites will still render in IE4. It took probably 30 minutes of struggling until I was able to find an old website with a link to netscape 4.From there, it was easier since pages would actually display (albeit incorrectly.)

Hmmm, an interesting challenge indeed. Omg, i remember those Aol discs they used to give out for free. although i can honestly say that i have never used one of those discs. i would collect them though and re-format them to use as storage for flies.

Your right about the browser, it would be rejected by most web sites.

Back
Top Bottom