Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #17971
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Yeah. I've installed/updated windows on a lot of computers, and HP/compaqs are consistently the worst to deal with. This specific model is a class of its own though. It takes several hours to get everything working on a fresh install. For some reason, the drivers only work if installed in a very specific order, which really doesn't make any clear sense. For example, installing the "media keys" driver causes five new hardware popups for some reason. It also has the bizarre fax modem/ HD audio thing that I never can get to work right. I've been working on that for probably two hours now and still haven't figured it out.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #17972
The Candy Man
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,857
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Wow, i guess that computer really is messed up if you had problems right off the bat with a clean install. i wonder if maybe a hacker screwed with the bios some how and changed things.

I bought a laptop from a pawn shop because i wanted a spare laptop, and when i went into bios and changed the boot order to boot from USB, the laptop would get a blue screen of death apon boot, but if i changed the boot order to boot from the hd, and disable the USB boot option, the laptop would work just fine with no problems.

I think who ever used to own this laptop got hacked, and the hacker messed up the bios some how. i still use it though, it works great.
__________________

~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #17973
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR~MIXX View Post
Wow, i guess that computer really is messed up if you had problems right off the bat with a clean install. i wonder if maybe a hacker screwed with the bios some how and changed things.

I bought a laptop from a pawn shop because i wanted a spare laptop, and when i went into bios and changed the boot order to boot from USB, the laptop would get a blue screen of death apon boot, but if i changed the boot order to boot from the hd, and disable the USB boot option, the laptop would work just fine with no problems.

I think who ever used to own this laptop got hacked, and the hacker messed up the bios some how. i still use it though, it works great.
Nah, it's nothing like that. Just really terrible design on compaq's part. They cut costs in every possible way, which means a lot of weird multi-purpose components. It works okay once I get all the drivers installed, except for a few minor bugs, like the headphone jack not overriding the speakers. So you have to lower the volume slider to 0 (mute doesn't work) then plug headphones in, then put the volume back up. It's annoying, but doesn't really impede usability. I'd be mad if I paid a lot for it, but this a $4 thrift shop salvage so I can deal with it.

Edit: just got it. The procedure was: install UAA driver. Dig through device manager to find a "PCI Device" (which isn't flagged as having a driver issue) with the matching hardware ID for the UAA device. Uninstall the driver. Reboot then manually select the correct driver. Now it gets detected properly and lets the modem and audio device show up. Then I had to extract the .exe installers for both and point device manager to the .inf files. Now I finally have working audio.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #17974
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Bored, so I'm doing the Windows 95 challenge. You're not allowed to use any OS besides windows 95 for a week. Anyone else feel like partaking in the frustration? haha.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #17975
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,123
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Custom built computers ftw. I mean for those who know how to deal with computers.

I hate it when your own computer requires the authority (kinda) of others.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #17976
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,224
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Bored, so I'm doing the Windows 95 challenge. You're not allowed to use any OS besides windows 95 for a week. Anyone else feel like partaking in the frustration? haha.
Hmm interesting, I'd hate it as today's browsers and programs would not support Windows 95.
__________________
See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #17977
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Hmm interesting, I'd hate it as today's browsers and programs would not support Windows 95.
But you get a free AOL trial! 6.022 x 10^23 hours free!*
*Offer only valid for one week after activation


But seriously, I wonder what the molar mass of AOL discs would be. There's probably some landfill out in California that would be pretty close by now.




But yeah, that's kinda the point of the exercise. You have to figure out ways to get by with whatever you can make run on an 18 year old OS. Just getting a functioning browser was quite the experience, since practically no websites will still render in IE4. It took probably 30 minutes of struggling until I was able to find an old website with a link to netscape 4.From there, it was easier since pages would actually display (albeit incorrectly.)
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #17978
The Candy Man
 
~mr mixx~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 10,857
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
But you get a free AOL trial! 6.022 x 10^23 hours free!*
*Offer only valid for one week after activation


But seriously, I wonder what the molar mass of AOL discs would be. There's probably some landfill out in California that would be pretty close by now.




But yeah, that's kinda the point of the exercise. You have to figure out ways to get by with whatever you can make run on an 18 year old OS. Just getting a functioning browser was quite the experience, since practically no websites will still render in IE4. It took probably 30 minutes of struggling until I was able to find an old website with a link to netscape 4.From there, it was easier since pages would actually display (albeit incorrectly.)
Hmmm, an interesting challenge indeed. Omg, i remember those Aol discs they used to give out for free. although i can honestly say that i have never used one of those discs. i would collect them though and re-format them to use as storage for flies.

Your right about the browser, it would be rejected by most web sites.
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #17979
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,224
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123
Default

Have you got a link Foothead?
__________________
See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #17980
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Have you got a link Foothead?
A link to what? Windows 95?
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0