Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #17821
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I'm sure somewhere here there's a discussion about smartphones and battery life but I can't find it. CNET released this "round-up" of the best battery life from smartphones, so if you are interested take a look:
Smartphones with long battery life (roundup) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
Or the phone manufacturers could quit being stupid and start putting battery doors again. Having to carry around an external battery just to recharge your original one is such a terrible solution.

I'm actually contemplating breaking some of the internal clips off my phone, just I can get to the battely without tools. There is absolutely no reason for there not to be a latch, but LG decided not to put one anyway.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #17822
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,215
Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
I'm sure somewhere here there's a discussion about smartphones and battery life but I can't find it. CNET released this "round-up" of the best battery life from smartphones, so if you are interested take a look:
Smartphones with long battery life (roundup) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
I was going create a topic but didn't..
__________________

__________________
See all my PC spec's here https://bit.ly/1lWAJhz
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #17823
Site Team
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Or the phone manufacturers could quit being stupid and start putting battery doors again. Having to carry around an external battery just to recharge your original one is such a terrible solution.

I'm actually contemplating breaking some of the internal clips off my phone, just I can get to the battely without tools. There is absolutely no reason for there not to be a latch, but LG decided not to put one anyway.
My phone has somewhat died. The screen won't come on anymore, and the phone was in a loop for a while, kept restarting. I wanted to turn it off so that any missed calls and texts would go to whatever phone I turn on next. But I couldn't shut this one off for quite a while...
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #17824
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
My phone has somewhat died. The screen won't come on anymore, and the phone was in a loop for a while, kept restarting. I wanted to turn it off so that any missed calls and texts would go to whatever phone I turn on next. But I couldn't shut this one off for quite a while...
I bet that was annoying. I've encountered a couple phones that were completely frozen, so the power button didn't do anything. Normally, you'd just pull the battery to reset them, but that isn't possible on most newer phones. The only options become to either take it apart or wait for it to finally drain the battery and die.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #17825
Site Team
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

I'm sending mine back to HTC for warranty repairs soon, so I can't take it apart either... Pain. I started to, then I got to the one screw with a sticker and had to stop then, haha.
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #17826
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,031
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

We have the same battery issues in the RC hobby. Better battery life would be nice.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #17827
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

The thing is, battery technology isn't really improving that much. Most of the more recent breakthroughs have been in creating higher capacity EV batteries that don't destroy themselves from very rapid charging. Traditional lithium ions like in laptops actually have higher energy densities than the best of these, they just aren't considered as safe and need to be charged slowly.

As far as smartphones, the real benefits come from reducing the power usage and expanding battery sizes. I kinda wish we could stop trying to pack in like 24 cores and more memory than a laptop and focus more on efficiency (on a hardware and software level). But that doesn't sell well, except to a niche market, so there'll never be much real competition on this end.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #17828
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,031
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

I don't mean to spark a debate but what in the sam hill do you need a cell phone to have all that other garbage (in my book) on it? I guess if the job didn't have a requirement to have one, trust me I wouldn't. I look at my little gophone with all the extra apps on it and think to my self I'll never use them.
I just need my phone to go ring, ring when some one calls. If I need to get on the internet I have 2 laptops and a desktop. I need directions I just do it the old fashsion way, ask some body. And I'm not paying 400 bucks for a phone that will most of the time sit on my desk being used as a paper weight.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #17829
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,422
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
The thing is, battery technology isn't really improving that much. Most of the more recent breakthroughs have been in creating higher capacity EV batteries that don't destroy themselves from very rapid charging. Traditional lithium ions like in laptops actually have higher energy densities than the best of these, they just aren't considered as safe and need to be charged slowly.
This - pretty much all of the increases in battery technology recently has been through reduced power consumption rather than actually increasing battery capacity. They have gone up a bit, but in the grand scheme of things not much at all.
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #17830
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I don't mean to spark a debate but what in the sam hill do you need a cell phone to have all that other garbage (in my book) on it? I guess if the job didn't have a requirement to have one, trust me I wouldn't. I look at my little gophone with all the extra apps on it and think to my self I'll never use them.
I just need my phone to go ring, ring when some one calls. If I need to get on the internet I have 2 laptops and a desktop. I need directions I just do it the old fashsion way, ask some body. And I'm not paying 400 bucks for a phone that will most of the time sit on my desk being used as a paper weight.
Godbless you seti
__________________

Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0