Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #17811
Site Team

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Also, there's things like barricading monuments. From what I hear, there's actually more staff at some of them keeping people out than if they were operating as usual.
Depends on who you are: WWII veterans storm DC memorial closed by government shutdown - News - Stripes

Quote:
Wheelchair-bound elderly veterans pushed aside barricades to tour the World War II Memorial Tuesday morning, in defiance of the government shutdown which closed all of the memorials in the nation’s capital.

The four bus loads of veterans — visiting from Mississippi as part of a once-in-a-lifetime Honor Flight tour — ignored National Park Police instructions not to enter the site as lawmakers and tourists cheered them on.

“We didn’t come this far not to get in,” one veteran proclaimed.

The scene was both emotional and comical at once. After it was clear they had lost control of the situation, Park Police officials stood aside, telling press that they had “asked for guidance on how to respond” to the breach of security.

As 80-something veterans slowly walked around the massive war memorial, Park Police stood quietly to the side, advising other tourists that the site was technically still closed. But they made no moves to stop the wishes of the war heroes.
...telling press that they had “asked for guidance on how to respond” to the breach of security. ...
That's my favortie part

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #17812
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Depends on who you are: WWII veterans storm DC memorial closed by government shutdown - News - Stripes

...telling press that they had “asked for guidance on how to respond” to the breach of security. ...
That's my favortie part
Haha, yeah. I referenced that event a few posts back. The whole thing with closing off memorials is just for show. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was planned in advance. Either way, politicians sure did take advantage of it.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #17813
Wizard of Wires

When you stomp on our rights as veterans, we can get rowdy. But we usually maintain our composure. Just get out of the way...
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #17814
Fully Optimized

Just booked in a resort for the family. Modest and humble, but it is my limit. Of course I mean my mother and three sisters not wife and children. They don't exist yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post

Our government was intentionally set up so no single person or branch would have full authority. There are three main federal branches, which each have their own responsibilities divided up in such a way that they oversee the others. This is typically referred to as checks and balances, though I'm not entirely sure where that specific term originated.

Despite how the position is sometimes presented, the president does not have full authority. However, he does have limited authority to make decisions in cases where using the full route would be impractical for whatever reason (referred to as the executive order.) The limits to this are clearly laid out in the constitution. Making a budget is one of the things that has to go through congress, so the president really has very little power here.
Hmm, the three horsemen of the federation.

Well, I guess we shouldn't question the regulations of a great and the financially strongest country in the world.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #17815
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
Well, I guess we shouldn't question the regulations of a great and the financially strongest country in the world.
This is just a light-hearted response with no intent to cause any debate and while I haven't really been following this part of the thread much, this is our right as Americans to question everything our government does, and to hollar at the top of our lungs that our politicians are babies and that they are acting like children with no fear of anything happening to us. Happens everyday (all day on some news channels) and it's part of living in the States.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #17816
Fully Optimized

Understood.

Just to let you know, I didn't mean to be offensive in any way.

Knowing USA, I have a strong feeling things will hopefully get back to normal soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #17817
Site Team

Wow...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #17818
Wizard of Wires

The sound track is fried.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #17819
Golden Master

Send a message via Skype™ to BK_123

So I had my EEG done today, Went well except I didn't like the fast flashing strode lights, Get results next week..
Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #17820
Site Team

I'm sure somewhere here there's a discussion about smartphones and battery life but I can't find it. CNET released this "round-up" of the best battery life from smartphones, so if you are interested take a look:
Smartphones with long battery life (roundup) | Dialed In - CNET Blogs