Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #17701
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
There was one case here (with out much details and ado) that a woman was ra*ed and arrested as she was part of it, even though she was innocent, and was sentenced to punishment. Yup, a victim that was sentenced to punishment, which is wrong by all means.

The Media distributed this. Later on, the case was studied thoroughly as it should be and all charges against the woman were dropped.

The Media completely neglected this good news leaving only suspicion and hatered against Saudi Arabia.
For what it's worth, I do remember hearing about this, as well as when the charges were dropped. It definitely didn't get as much attention as when the story first broke though. EDIT: Actually, the one I was thinking of was in Dubai, not Saudia Arabia. It happened pretty much like the incident you described though.

I do agree that western media tends to paint the middle east as a whole in an unnecessarily bad light. I often have conversations with people who say wildly ignorant things like "Well, they all hate us anyway, why should we care about them?" Then I try to explain that the majority of people in the mid east do not, in fact, hate the American people, and they just start throwing anecdotes that have happened over many years at me. It's really difficult to get through that, since the only people we ever hear about are the ones that hate us.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #17702
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,676
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I do agree that western media tends to paint the middle east as a whole in an unnecessarily bad light.
Again lets be honest, what doesn't the western media paint in a bad light? One nut is all it takes for the media to condemn an entire group of people
__________________

__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #17703
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
For what it's worth, I do remember hearing about this, as well as when the charges were dropped. It definitely didn't get as much attention as when the story first broke though. EDIT: Actually, the one I was thinking of was in Dubai, not Saudia Arabia. It happened pretty much like the incident you described though.

I do agree that western media tends to paint the middle east as a whole in an unnecessarily bad light. I often have conversations with people who say wildly ignorant things like "Well, they all hate us anyway, why should we care about them?" Then I try to explain that the majority of people in the mid east do not, in fact, hate the American people, and they just start throwing anecdotes that have happened over many years at me. It's really difficult to get through that, since the only people we ever hear about are the ones that hate us.
I intentionally made the story short. This is a computer forum after all. Sorry about that.

To support your thought even further, I'm Arab, Saudi and Muslim. The worst combination one might think of, yet here I am making friends here of different races and etc. I also have many friends of them including 2 Americans on Facebook. Those guys are cool and made me laugh out loud more than once. I also learned the language very well to interact with the the non Arab world and clear many misunderstandings about us.

Try not to blame those not in-favor. The media does have strong influence and frankly some of the news are true regardless of the reasons behind it. Thanks to those Arab radicals and extremists.

I appreciate your understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Again lets be honest, what doesn't the western media paint in a bad light? One nut is all it takes for the media to condemn an entire group of people
It was still sad that they completely neglected the conclusion of the case. It could have been a hit as well to the media.

I, however, agree with you.

Ratings and attention are all they want. I include media not just the western. So why not, in their thinking, twist things up to get it.

I remember how the media harassed Justice League in one of the episodes. It was really fun how the Flash dealt with them.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #17704
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,676
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Do you happen to remember what episode of the justice league that was? I kinda want to see it now.

And just as an aside, you did learn English very well. I'd argue that your English is better than that of some of ours haha
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #17705
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 722
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
here is something to lighten the mood after all the death talk.



I have to show you some of my puppy pics. We have a litter every year (Mother raisers and sells pure bread collie puppies). It's always so hard to sell them, because we get so attached to those little skunk breathed cuties XD
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #17706
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 2,126
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Do you happen to remember what episode of the justice league that was? I kinda want to see it now.

And just as an aside, you did learn English very well. I'd argue that your English is better than that of some of ours haha
Sure. It is not that I remember it, I just looked it up in my collection

It was a double episode. 13th and 14th of season 2. Episode 1 has most of the it. What makes it even better, the Flash is the main character.

Oh gosh, that was really encouraging
I might seem to be good in English, but things will clear up once you hear me speak it. Some times I make grave mistakes you might think I'm an idiot if you didn't know I'm not a native speaker who naturally most likely doesn't grasp the language like a native one. One of my American friends, Bret Martin, is learning Arabic and I sense something's different when he speaks it. He's a beginner tho.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #17707
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 3,907
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life View Post
I have to show you some of my puppy pics. We have a litter every year (Mother raisers and sells pure bread collie puppies). It's always so hard to sell them, because we get so attached to those little skunk breathed cuties XD
plz do. i love puppies
cutest things in the world by far.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #17708
meh.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 9,629
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

So I've been messing around with some steam games lately. Valve keeps going on and on about linux support, but every one of their games is incredibly buggy to the point where some don't even work. It also seems their developers don't have much experience working with linux, given some of the problems. For example in Team Fortress 2, the keyboard layout setting is completely ignored, so my keyboard is always considered qwerty. I keep getting popups saying to press "z" or whatever, but I have absolutely no idea which key this is. Oddly, the correct layout is used in chat. And that's the best running game I've tried.

I really like the idea of them supporting linux, but they have a ways to go before the platform is really usable. I have no idea how some of these games got out of beta unless they're just ignoring all hardware-dependent issues and only focusing on the ones that affect every system.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #17709
Site Team
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,868
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

This isn't his first one, but these are funny:



Here's another one.
http://www.videobash.com/video_show/...asinski-661379
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #17710
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,031
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

I figure this is at roughly 200 feet. I ordered a mini digital altimeter from Estes Rocket that will take the guess work out of how high it was. But if you figure the signs are 50 feet tall you can guess pretty closely.
This is from a vid I shot with a storm moving in last Friday.



I need to get more batteries for it. With just 12 minutes flight time on a pack, the fun ends pretty quick.
__________________

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0