Random Chit Chat

Not heard about this one specifically, but heard about these sorts of cases a lot. While it was a bit stupid of him to say it, he's been unlucky to have been pulled up on it and I honestly think all of these types of cases are ridiculous, and quite frankly turning free speech into a crime. It angers me.

Law enforcement's job is to take suspicious messages, yes perhaps even ones like this, and investigate them. If and *only if* they turn out to have weight behind them after this investigation, then the matter should be taken further. At the very most, if you made a threat like this where it could only sensibly be construed that you were trying to make people believe you were going to carry out such an attack, you should be done for wasting police time. This "if you make a joke that can be taken the wrong way then we'll make you a criminal" attitude is the sort of thing I'd expect in North Korea, not in the US, UK, etc.! Stand up comedy is going to have to die if this continues... (note to law enforcement reading this over my shoulder, I'm explicitly not making a threat there to kill any stand up comedians, this was a joke.)

The big problem I have with this approach is that it doesn't scale. You can't justify doing this to some cases and not others, if you're going to try someone for this, you're going to have to try everyone for this. Before long, if we continue down this road, we're going to have everyone in the "I want to punch chavs in the face" group on Facebook tried for GBH, and anyone arrested for attempted murder if they post "I'm gonna kill you dammit!" in reply to their friend putting up an embarrassing photo of them on facebook...

All the police achieve through these types of cases is taking resources off finding real terrorist threats. If they simply ignored the obvious jokes like this (what terrorist is going to *actually* publish something like that on a chat forum or similar open thing! Really?) they might be able to actually concentrate on doing something productive... maybe...

(what terrorist is going to *actually* publish something like that on a chat forum or similar open thing! Really?)

I pretty much agree with what you said in that post, but this part actually did happen fairly recently. Virginia Mall Shooter Apparently Announced Crime in Advance on 4chan | Threat Level | Wired.com There was also this one from the Sandy Hook shooting, though it ended up being a hoax. Sandy Hook School Massacre: Adam Lanza Suicide Note Exposed as Hoax - IBTimes UK Even so, law enforcement definitely has the idea on their minds.

These people are looking for attention. Since the plan is usually to die in the process, they don't really get to see the huge media circus they create. Thus, they'll want to announce their plans somewhere beforehand so they can at least get a taste of people's reactions.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with what you said in that post, but this part actually did happen fairly recently. Virginia Mall Shooter Apparently Announced Crime in Advance on 4chan | Threat Level | Wired.com There was also this one from the Sandy Hook shooting, though it ended up being a hoax. Sandy Hook School Massacre: Adam Lanza Suicide Note Exposed as Hoax - IBTimes UK Even so, law enforcement definitely has the idea on their minds.

These people are looking for attention. Since the plan is usually to die in the process, they don't really get to see the huge media circus they create. Thus, they'll want to announce their plans somewhere beforehand so they can at least get a taste of people's reactions.

Fair point! Having said that, I still stand by what I said, though would stress the point that if you deliberately call out a hoax then I don't see the problem with being done for wasting police time (just not getting taken down for terrorist charges.)

So we went and brought the Netgear WN2500RP Universal Range Extender. My Mum wanted to connect out smart TV to the router and reckons it wasn't very good on wireless, We have a long blue Ethernet cable when it was in distance of being able to be connected but now she brought the range extender just so we could connect the TV up via Ethernet, It was very simple and easy to setup, Only thing was having to enter the wireless key into all the computers and other devices for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.

Is anyone else here into cycling? I keep having problems with the traffic detectors on stoplights and don't really know what to do. The only way I've found that works is to get off the bike and lie the frame down on top of one of the cuts. The electric bike is too heavy to do this, so I pretty much end up waiting ten minutes for a car to come by or turning right then doing a U-turn at the next intersection. The new camera-based ones are even worse. There's one near me that has never worked once no matter what I do, but the red light camera still detects me well enough to activate if I go through after five light cycles.

It's starting to make sense why so many cyclists ignore red lights entirely. If you're going to have to break the law just to get through every intersection, might as well not wait five minutes first. It's really the city's fault. There's plenty of systems out there that detect bicycles just fine, but they never seem to care enough to use them. Also, they keep paving over the coils and not marking them, so it becomes nearly impossible to figure out where to position the bike. I've heard people with motorcycles complain about this too, so it seems it's not just bicycles that are affected.

Anyway, I guess that's enough ranting. I'm just kind of mad right now because it just happened three times on the same ride.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom