Random Chit Chat

Hmm... I've not used my desktop in a while, and I decided to re-apply some thermal compound, because it has always been kinda toasty..

Right now, it's idling at about 60 - but under load, it only increases by about 4-5 degree's... What could be wrong? My cooler is pretty poor (stock AMD cooler... the copper base doesn't seem smooth)... but I don't know why there would be such a small temp difference between 0% and 100% load...

Hmm... I've not used my desktop in a while, and I decided to re-apply some thermal compound, because it has always been kinda toasty..

Right now, it's idling at about 60 - but under load, it only increases by about 4-5 degree's... What could be wrong? My cooler is pretty poor (stock AMD cooler... the copper base doesn't seem smooth)... but I don't know why there would be such a small temp difference between 0% and 100% load...

Maybe because you have a nice thermal connection between the processor and the heatsink now?

man I've been using ubuntu 9.10 on this old rig for a long time maybe finally time for an upgrade

I upgraded to 11.04 not too long ago. Personally don't care for the UI, going to go back to 10.04 when I stop being lazy.

oh crap I am already in the process of upgrading to 11.04 is there any way to stop it?

edit:
There is a classic ui you can use that looks like ubuntu 10.10 Maybe once I get some CDs I will install linux mint on this since it has a decent ui

I still can't figure out how to make nice cities in SimCity 4...
I'm also debating if I should use my Vendetta 2 on my new setup. Though it will block out two RAM slots.

I actually like the new UI, but 11.04 slowed down to a crawl after a while. I think it was a combination of the changes I made to it (rotating cube, wallpapers, etc.) and Ubuntu One trying to update to the cloud every ten freakin' minutes.

I have 10.04 running with the cube, separate wallpapers on each desktop and Docky simulating Unity. Definitely not going to turn Ubuntu One back on...

Meanwhile, I tore the entire laptop down to get at the heatsink. What a pain in the butt-- HP uses some kind of clay to transfer heat from the graphics chip to the heat-pipe... no wonder this thing overheats. Reshaping the clay has helped, but I'm going to have to find a copper shim.
argh.gif

Back
Top Bottom