Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #14421
meh.

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Hmmm... could I use a desktop SATA HDD in a laptop? The interface is exactly the same but I'm a bit worried it'll draw too much current and mess something up.

We just got some epic spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a spammer
Apple's launch of the iPhone 4 has seen the greatest excitement for a new phone ever - and with HD video recording, a perfect screen and ridiculously slim dimensions, it's not hard to see why.
If you're an iPhone fan, there's a good chance you won't like the look of the iPhone the first time you pick it up - it's the same weight as the iPhone 3GS at 137g, but it's a lot smaller, with dimensions of 115.2mm x58.6 mm x 9.3mm, so it feels like a much weightier and compact model.
The edges are stainless steel, apparently forged by winged unicorns in an iceberg (or something) to be 10 times stronger than 'normal' steel.
Lol, apple's ridiculous marketing claims...

Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #14422
Fully Optimized

So what kind of freaking computer is this cooling fan for then?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #14423
Fully Optimized

Why does hp/compaq have to make these side panels so hard to get back on. I was working on a persons computer and am replacing a broken dvd drive but the side panel is giving me nothing but trouble going back on. IT is fairly new with a pentium dual core e2200 but I do not know the model number exactly right now but it is one of those backwards cases BTX I think they're called and has a single thumb screw that doesn't detach from the side panel.

Gah! this is so annoying.

But at least I am making decent money doing these things
Old 11-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #14424
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee286 View Post
Why does hp/compaq have to make these side panels so hard to get back on. I was working on a persons computer and am replacing a broken dvd drive but the side panel is giving me nothing but trouble going back on. IT is fairly new with a pentium dual core e2200 but I do not know the model number exactly right now but it is one of those backwards cases BTX I think they're called and has a single thumb screw that doesn't detach from the side panel.
I've got a compaq like that. I ended up using a pair of vice grips to get the thumb screw out, then I drilled the hole slightly larger with a dremel. It's so much easier to work on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
So what kind of freaking computer is this cooling fan for then?
Bahaha. You should buy that and put it in an ITX case.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #14425
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Bahaha. You should buy that and put it in an ITX case.
lol! And make the worlds first floating/hovering ITX machine. >.<
Old 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #14426
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
lol! And make the worlds first floating/hovering ITX machine. >.<
Lol. Or you could put it as an output fan and see if it implodes.

Laptop thread is up in the modding section.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #14427
Fully Optimized

Getting it off wasn't a problem. Getting it back on properly is though I can't seem to get all the grooves to line up. Whenever I get one side properly in its groove the others pop out and refuse to get in their grooves. Right now this person is dealing with a computer with a big gap in the front and a crooked side panel that is 2/3 put on right. I am waiting for the replacement dvd drive to arrive
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #14428
meh.

Quote:
Getting it off wasn't a problem. Getting it back on properly is though I can't seem to get all the grooves to line up. Whenever I get one side properly in its groove the others pop out and refuse to get in their grooves. Right now this person is dealing with a computer with a big gap in the front and a crooked side panel that is 2/3 put on right. I am waiting for the replacement dvd drive to arrive
Oh, you mean the grooves in the side. I usually lie the computer down, then lean on the side panel while pushing forward. It takes a couple tries, but I can usually get it.

EDIT: Are laptop optical drive faceplates standard? I need a more square one and would rather not buy a whole new drive.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #14429
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post

EDIT: Are laptop optical drive faceplates standard? I need a more square one and would rather not buy a whole new drive.
I'm pretty sure they aren't I have seen 3 laptops over the course of today and they all appear to be slightly different. At least for different brands
Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #14430
meh.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they aren't I have seen 3 laptops over the course of today and they all appear to be slightly different. At least for different brands
Darn. I was looking at one, and the button, light, and hole all looked to have the same placement as my drive, so I was kinda hoping. I'll probably try it anyway though, because it could save me like $20 if it works.