Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #14411
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Random Chit Chat

How? I guess I did it by installing it. I just never had any significant problems from the get-go. The only problem that I run into regularly is not being able to alt+tab out of TF2 without it locking up. Only tweak that I can remember doing is disabling Superfetch.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #14412
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Challenge time: All you people who say W7 is so great and always works perfectly, etc. etc, explain how to do this.
What version of W7 are you running?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #14413
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
What version of W7 are you running?
Home premium 64.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #14414
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Home premium 64.
Don't quote me on this but I think gpedit.msc is only available in Ultimate, Pro and Enterprise editions of W7...
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #14415
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
How? I guess I did it by installing it. I just never had any significant problems from the get-go. The only problem that I run into regularly is not being able to alt+tab out of TF2 without it locking up. Only tweak that I can remember doing is disabling Superfetch.
Huh? You can manually install drivers over the ones that Windows puts?

Note that this is a driver, not a driver installer package or anything. The specific one is located here, http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/...B/Default.aspx under PCTV HD mini Stick (80e).

Quote:
Don't quote me on this but I think gpedit.msc is only available in Ultimate, Pro and Enterprise editions of W7...
Why would Microsoft make people pay extra to disable their crappy "features?" Makes no sense to me...

How else can it be done? I've spent at least 8 hours trying to get the tuner working on my htpc. It works perfectly fine in linux and XP.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #14416
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Huh? You can manually install drivers over the ones that Windows puts?

Note that this is a driver, not a driver installer package or anything. The specific one is located here, http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/...B/Default.aspx under PCTV HD mini Stick (80e).

Why would Microsoft make people pay extra to disable their crappy "features?" Makes no sense to me...

How else can it be done? I've spent at least 8 hours trying to get the tuner working on my htpc. It works perfectly fine in linux and XP.
I'd be mad if I couldn't install the drivers that I want to install in W7. That sucks if MS have disabled the feature for Home Premium or Basic editions. Have you searched for a 3rd party application that allows you to modify the Group Policy in W7?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #14417
meh.

Quote:
I'd be mad if I couldn't install the drivers that I want to install in W7. That sucks if MS have disabled the feature for Home Premium or Basic editions. Have you searched for a 3rd party application that allows you to modify the Group Policy in W7?
Yep, no luck. It really pisses me off that Windows won't let me replace the driver because it "thinks" that its driver is better. This type of thing is why I like linux so much better. If only there was a native Blu-ray program for it...
Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #14418
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I forgot that brands like HP put the lowest amount for the PSU. My friend bought a computer today at Black Friday. It's an AMD Athlon II X4 635, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB HDD, 1 DVD-RW optical, and a 250W PSU. We were planning on putting an 8800GT in there, but the power supply will not do.

Quick question, are we able to change the PSU and add an GPU to an HP computer without having the warranty voided? There were no stickers whatsoever that could show signs of any tampering.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #14419
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
I forgot that brands like HP put the lowest amount for the PSU. My friend bought a computer today at Black Friday. It's an AMD Athlon II X4 635, 8GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB HDD, 1 DVD-RW optical, and a 250W PSU. We were planning on putting an 8800GT in there, but the power supply will not do.

Quick question, are we able to change the PSU and add an GPU to an HP computer without having the warranty voided? There were no stickers whatsoever that could show signs of any tampering.
The warranty should be fine, considering that a computer is designed to be upgraded. Besides, you could just swap the original parts back in if you have to send the whole thing in for repair.

EDIT: I'm pricing some supplies for my project. I need 2 U.FL to RP-SMA cables, a couple high gain antennas, like 4 sheets of acrylic, a keyboard, a wacom touchpad, a hdd, a powered usb hub, some various wiring and connectors, a usb video card, an ASUS MS248H, PCI fans, some fan grille, rubber feet, lots of acrylic glue, a new webcam lens, some really tight hinges, and some RAMsinks. This is gonna get expensive...
Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #14420
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I didn't really want to risk doing anything that voids the warranty since its not mine.

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote