Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #13971
meh.

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Does anyone know how much current is typically produced when core memory flips? I can't seem to find this anywhere. The cores appear to be about 0.8 mm each.

Here's some photos I just took:

The box of relays

10x7 block of relays, all glued together. I'm going to need at least four of these.

This is gonna be a nightmare to wire.

Sorry the photos are so dark. I took them with my phone, and I only had one 20w lightbulb on.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #13972
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINMAN46 View Post
hot glue beer caps to the top of it and put glass over it
I Fn love this idea! lol.

Time to start drinking..

Passion.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #13973
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Does anyone know how much current is typically produced when core memory flips? I can't seem to find this anywhere. The cores appear to be about 0.8 mm each.

Here's some photos I just took:

The box of relays

10x7 block of relays, all glued together. I'm going to need at least four of these.

This is gonna be a nightmare to wire.

Sorry the photos are so dark. I took them with my phone, and I only had one 20w lightbulb on.
Ha. I would seriously love to do a soldering job on this. Couple reels of solder and a decent iron and lock me in a room. I'll be good!

I'm modding a PRA-8...

It's cheap but i'm going to try and improve it's sonic abilities. Metal film resistors/Polystyrene caps on the audio path, shielded audio cable between the in and out boards and PSU improvements.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #13974
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

I've yet to learn how to solder. I Mean i can solder, but im not happy with the results, the joins looks sloppy and horrible. Part of that can be blamed on my cheap arse 15w iron though. I'll eventually get around to buying a decent soldering iron.

For now though, im spending a bit on my car, gotta buy:

Timing Belt
Tensioner
Brake Drums (Both rear)
Rotors (Both front)
Pads
Shoes
Oil
Oil Filter
Petrol filter
Gearbox oil
Checker plate (Replacing rear interior panels)
Vaccume Gauge (To Replace the stock Artifical horizon which doesnt work)
Voltage Vauage (To replace the stock voltage meter which also has stopped working)
Head unit
New 6x9's
Snorkel

Im going to be pretty busy this weekend, also gotta reline my roof, bend one of the support members back into place and touch up some paint.
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #13975
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
For sure, Grant. I'm also shutting it down while I'm away from it. I'm also considering selling the loop. It's not that practical anymore and I'm not really into overclocking much these days.
^^^ I'd do the same, especially since the new hardware doesn't need any overclocking. But I know that as soon as I sell it, I will miss it. So I'm sticking with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #13976
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
Ha. I would seriously love to do a soldering job on this. Couple reels of solder and a decent iron and lock me in a room. I'll be good!
Haha, that's pretty much the plan. I've gotta get about 500m of 18 ga. wire though, which is gonna be hella expensive. I would've bought it earlier so I could get started right away, but I was unsure of the power draw of the relays.

I need a decent soldering iron though. I'm using a 30w POS from radioshack. It really doesn't matter on something like this because the tabs are so huge, but it's impossible to solder anything surface mount, and the solder tends to bridge between components when using 1mm through hole mount.

EDIT: I just calculated that I'll need between 5000 and 6000 connections just for the CPU. Then the memory will require four wires to be run through 4096 0.6mm holes. Holy crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
I'm modding a PRA-8...

It's cheap but i'm going to try and improve it's sonic abilities. Metal film resistors/Polystyrene caps on the audio path, shielded audio cable between the in and out boards and PSU improvements.
Sweet. How much improvement do you think you'll see from that?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #13977
Fully Optimized

Foothead, I commend you for going at this. You go for what you want and you go at it hard. I'm excited to see the finished result - It won't be powerful, but it will be hella impressive!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #13978
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
Foothead, I commend you for going at this. You go for what you want and you go at it hard. I'm excited to see the finished result - It won't be powerful, but it will be hella impressive!
Thanks! I'm mostly doing this so I have something to keep me occupied; I figured that I could either buy two computer games or this for $100, and building a CPU would keep me entertained for much longer, so that's what I chose.

Also, I just ordered the wire. 500 feet should be good for a while.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #13979
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm getting annoyed of this BSOD atimpag.sys error. It happens during the first boot of W7, but it starts and run perfectly after the BSOD.
Started happening after I got my 5870...

Doesn't happen every time, just once in awhile.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #13980
Golden Master

‎3G, Cell service, internet, and xbox live all stopped working wtf?
all with in 5 mins of each other.

luckaly 3G started back up after about 10 mins of freaking me out...

still nothing else though.

Tethering FTW...

SKYNET!