Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #13891
Golden Master

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

its a simple calculator that barely out does a abbicas, dont talk it up lol

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #13892
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

I'd like to see you build one guys, go foothead for giving it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I built a 4-bit adder to get a feel for the project. I'm gonna build an 8-bit computer if paypal ever fixes my account.
If you could make that run DOS, that would be a wet dream. Also, what plans are you following? I'd LOVE to build something like this.

Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #13893
Golden Master

I built one in college several times.

Though we all built 16 bit adders using gate IC's
and we all hooked them together an used the whole classes to calculate PI to the millions decimal.

it was about 2 hours time XD

we did stuff kinda like this for extra credit using PLC's and RLL

I hate spaghetti wires :/

is that your end goal kinda Foothead?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #13894
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

I've never actually known how a CPU Works.

So a CPU Works with Transistors, a transistor controls voltage (Input Pin,Control Pin,OutputPin?) and the flow of electricity? So with various layouts of transistors, you create gates with which the electricity flows through creating a 'calculator' of sorts that works in binary? Once the Transistors have generated binary, How does it output? How do you program this, do you 'program' it by the layout you set using the various gates?

I'm assuming that you simply have voltage coming into the Input pin, your inputs (The User) come in through the control pin and the output comes out of the output pin?

I'd love to build a home built computer to play a tune, or display on an LCD or something. Something useful.
Neodude112320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #13895
meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
I wouldn't call it a rig, tbh. Project, but not rig.
It's a joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post
its a simple calculator that barely out does a abbicas, dont talk it up lol
The completed version will be much more than a calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperviper21 View Post

is that your end goal kinda Foothead?
If you pay attention, he is actually feeding commands from another computer. That appears to only be a part of his CPU.

Mine'll be more like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
I've never actually known how a CPU Works.

So a CPU Works with Transistors, a transistor controls voltage (Input Pin,Control Pin,OutputPin?) and the flow of electricity? So with various layouts of transistors, you create gates with which the electricity flows through creating a 'calculator' of sorts that works in binary? Once the Transistors have generated binary, How does it output? How do you program this, do you 'program' it by the layout you set using the various gates?

I'm assuming that you simply have voltage coming into the Input pin, your inputs (The User) come in through the control pin and the output comes out of the output pin?

I'd love to build a home built computer to play a tune, or display on an LCD or something. Something useful.
It's kinda hard to explain how it's programmed, but I'll try. The commands will be entered one at a time. Each command will then be toggled into memory. When the run command is given, it will load the first command, run it, store the answer in memory, then load the next command. and so on.

It really won't do much useful, it's mainly so I have something to keep me occupied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
If you could make that run DOS, that would be a wet dream. Also, what plans are you following? I'd LOVE to build something like this.
DOS is so far beyond this thing's capabilities... Even the simplest DOS-compatible CPU would require thousands of relays to run, and it only operates at like 5-10Hz, so it'd still be pretty useless.

I'm not using any specific plans, though the architecture is based off another relay computer I found on the internet. there's really no need to reinvent the wheel on this one.

I'm having serious issues with my computer's parallel port. In EPP and ECP mode, pins 1-13 are all +5v, and 14-25 are all ground. WTF?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #13896
Fully Optimized

Yes, Foothead - I knew it was a joke. I suppose I should have added the proper "lol" to my post so it was to be understood we were on the same page.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #13897
meh.

oh lol.

Can someone explain this?

I wanted to go see how this bing rewards thing worked, but that's all I get.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #13898
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

Uber FAIL lol. That's all I got :P
http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
The_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #13899
meh.

The funny thing is that it worked after I installed SP3. I thought it might've been a typo, but it says SP2 in several places.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #13900
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

Hmm, very weird.
Can you believe what Google has done to GMAil? They're forcing you to use browsers of their choosing, not just any, to be able to use all GMail features. Gee. There are other decent browsers out there that would do it right, why can't Google get its head out of its ***?

http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
The_Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote