Random Chit Chat

Literally an hour before im ordering my Droid,motorola announce a Droid 2 in a month. What do :|.

just deal with, because the Motorola Droid does everything you'd ever need a phone to do lol.

using 3G i get about 1.01Mb/s using speed test app, and on my home wifi i get about 4-6Mb/s using wirelless G from my Linksys.

@Remeniz (and anyone else who might know what's up)

Okay. So idk if I explained that I was going to take my PA system (This, 2 of these, and this) to my church to see how it sounded. Well, here's the low down.

Scenario 1
-Put amp/speakers up in the rear projector room (behind the screen seen in this picture; okay, I couldn't find the updated picture. This is before the screen was put in, but it's high on that wall where that other framed thing is). I figured, "hey, if we can hide the speakers up there and get sound thrown out the projector screen, that's awesome."

-I had to run a 60" cable (homemade, with about 5 spliced sections of wire, nonetheless!) with RCAs on the ends. I didn't have ANYTHING to do TRS with to output from the mixer. Here's how I had it: 2 RCA spliced down to a single wire run then spliced back up to two RCAs on the other end. (Keep this in mind as I talk about quality later on.)

-In order to get the microphones to the mixer, I had to use a jumble of XLR cables. Both microphones are connected by various strands of XLR cabling. It's all pre-bought, but only one cable was super high quality (from monoprice). The others were ones that came with my Alesis Mixer (not alesis cords, though) when I got that with a podcast package. Again, this might have something to do with the quality that I'll discuss.

-Put the mixer down stairs (where I'll need to be to control the projector with the laptop).

Conclusion 1: sounded not great. Granted, anything is better than what we have now, but... Okay. Here's what it sounded like. Music was pretty decent (played a variety), but the microphones were not (in fact, the old system sounded fine for the mics...kinda). What was happening was that I could not get the microphones to go loud enough without ringing. Also, when someone would talk during mic checks, right at the end of the phrase you were saying it would "ring" for just a split second after the person finished speaking. You had to get really close to the microphone for it to pick up your voice (this leads me to believe that the microphones may need replacing). Okay. Backup here for a second. One microphone was terrible. The other one seemed to be decent. The decent one was an AudioTechnica. The other one had no brand on it--that one was the junker. You had to get sooooo close for it to pick up your voice. HOWEVER it wasn't mounted correctly. Instead of being directly in front of your mouth, it was mounted at a 90* angle (and most condenser microphones don't like to work at a 90* angle...which is why I think I had to get so close to it) The AudioTechnica was straight on with the vocal projection line.

The other issue was echoing. I think it was because it was placed in a small room, with no sound insulation, trying to escape it through a 10' projector screen. Dumb idea...sooooo

Scenario 2
-Lugged the speakers and stands down stairs and put them in front of each podium. Was still using all the same cabling (including the unfortunately crappy RCA line out from the mixer).

Conclusion 2:
-Microphones were the same result. I mean, they were loud enough for me, but for an older person or a person hard of hearing, I don't think they'll cut it (well, the one crappy non-branded one). I wasn't pleased at all.

-Ringing was reduced, but still not a great improvement. (It seemed to only have problems with speaking tones and speaking volume. I sang an array of a cappella stuff which all sounded fine, surprisingly)

-Music sounded fine.

-Echoing was greatly reduced.

So what now? Any ideas for solutions to these issues before I go and buy $1,000 worth of stuff? I mean, it is all better than what we have (we can't play ANY music now without distortion). Do you think the crap-ass cabling I did has a lot to do with it? I have a feeling that it does. We could also due with replacing that crappy microphone.

If someone really thinks that wall mounting these up higher would help things, let me know and I guess I can look into it. But a church with 45 people on a Sunday doesn't have much money.

just deal with, because the Motorola Droid does everything you'd ever need a phone to do lol.

using 3G i get about 1.01Mb/s using speed test app, and on my home wifi i get about 4-6Mb/s using wirelless G from my Linksys.

Im just worried about apps and games. If i buy a droid,i want it still be able to use new games and apps in say,2 years time?

Back
Top Bottom