Random Chit Chat

They stopped the oil leak in the gulf!

They put a giant Wedding ring on it and it quit putting out...

^^

Okay first and foremost I should have made ONE MAJOR DISCLAIMER (and this is my fault). It's an acoustic electric. Not simply an electric guitar. I would never try to run an electric through the PA. I've run my acoustic electric though plenty PA systems, so I know it works in that sense (as far as sound).

Disclaimer accepted! :D

Thats the one and it'd be wired like the first in my pic.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've mentioned that the in-wall length of the wire is going to be ~100-125 feet (from mixer to wall jack). Even if it does not work for guitar, it's still nice having a TRS combi jack so that I don't have to run 2 strands of wire.

Exactly. Just one run of cable needed from the XLR/TRS combo socket to the XLR plug at the mixer end. Although at extreme lengths cable capacitance can become an issue, it will affect the high frequencies, so no cheap small core cable accepted here.

Gotcha. I thought phantom had to do with balanced stuff.

It is associated with balanced mic's/equipment although I guess it coud be used to power un-balanced equipment. The 48+ low current power is conducted along the hot/cold lines in a balanced cable to power the relevant electronics in the receiving equipment.

Also, I figured it would be TRS at the jack since I've plugged plenty of mono (TS) cables into stereo jacks (TRS) and they worked just fine.

Yep. When using TS plugs in TRS connectors the ring/sleeve are common'd together by the TS plug to become the ground effectively.

Again, like my disclaimer at the top, does using an acoustic electric change things? My assumption is that it does since it doesn't use a pickup, like a traditional elec. guitar.

Well it uses a passive pick-up I think? Piezoelectric pick-ups with a preamp in the guitar body? Which means you should be ok running it into a mixer. Correct me if i'm wrong on this.

See, here's what I figured. Whoopdeedoo if it turns out not sounding good! For the price, it's cheaper to try it and have it work than to never have tried it at all. I mean, in the least, you come out with a balanced XLR AND TRS jack instead of just XLR. That's wonderful for different applications!

Exactly.

Okay. Well, good to know that if it doesn't work there are options out there to make it work if needed later on down the road.

And 'if' you need a 'direct injection' box they start out pretty cheap.

So that would be the "jumpers" so to speak to get both the TRS and XLR into 1 - 2 conductor shielded cable, then, correct!? Looks like it to me!

Yep. You just join the correct XLR and TRS terminals together and run the cable. The second in the pic is something I put together if you use the switched TRS version.

XLR
  1. 1 - Ground
  2. 2 - Hot
  3. 3 - Cold

TRS
  1. Tip - Hot
  2. Ring - Cold
  3. Sleeve - Ground

EDIT #2: This wire would also be an option. So I guess the decision is THIS or THIS.. Looks like the difference is that the cheaper one (1st link) is tinned copper, the more expensive (2nd link) is bare copper.

I hate when the state low-Z cable. Like Impedance is the important factor lol! Cable capacitance is much more important. Anyway enough ranting :p

I'd go for the West Penn Wire 25291B 1Pr 22GA Plenum Control Cable as it's solid core instead of 7x30 strand. And i'd say the solid core will be better in the longer runs.

Anyways it's 0040hrs here. EDIT: 0051hrs after a quick tidy up! Time for me to sleep! :D

Keep us updated with this.

If we ever have a CF lan party, this is how we're rolling:
case-5.jpg

Well it uses a passive pick-up I think? Piezoelectric pick-ups with a preamp in the guitar body? Which means you should be ok running it into a mixer. Correct me if i'm wrong on this.

Yeah, I think that sounds right. I couldn't find any information on the specific electronics in mine, but here's my guitar.

And 'if' you need a 'direct injection' box they start out pretty cheap.

I noticed that. Like ~$40.

Yep. You just join the correct XLR and TRS terminals together and run the cable. The second in the pic is something I put together if you use the switched TRS version.

XLR
  1. 1 - Ground
  2. 2 - Hot
  3. 3 - Cold

TRS
  1. Tip - Hot
  2. Ring - Cold
  3. Sleeve - Ground

Would you recommend soldering jumpers on the actual XLR combo jack or should I solder all leads in the solder cups, then join them an inch or two back from the jack? Jumping sounds cleaner, but I'm not sure how tight that would all be...

Keep us updated with this.

I will. Thanks again for all of your help!!! :)

On an unrelated note, what program would you guys recommend for doing a video slide show (as in, can play it in a DVD player). It'll just consist of pictures with an audio backing track. I've got pretty much all the Adobe software, but haven't used any of the A/V stuff. I'd like to not use movie maker since it's just so cheesy, but...IDK. Figured it'd be a good time to learn something new. It's a video for our county's local child abuse prevention campaign.

Yeah, I think that sounds right. I couldn't find any information on the specific electronics in mine, but here's my guitar.

Nice. I'm sure it has it's own built-in preamp and tune electronics. "If it sounds right, it is right" - Joe Meek.

Would you recommend soldering jumpers on the actual XLR combo jack or should I solder all leads in the solder cups, then join them an inch or two back from the jack? Jumping sounds cleaner, but I'm not sure how tight that would all be...

I'd go with the neatest job you can do. If you wanna go OCD on this you could use heat srhink on the terminals too.

Remember your mixer has a USB connection so you can connect it to a laptop or computer and record your performances.

:D

Back
Top Bottom