Random Chit Chat

The plugs are alright, no signs of burning I can see so far, no overheating (never before) and not sure about any leaks with a quick inspection.

So only the scary sounding stuff up there are what need more inspection to make sure of them. The thought scares me, tho. I rebuilt the engine ~62.5K miles ago.

However, I used Abro Stop Leak powder (that's against my beliefs) this morning and since then the coolant in the reservoir stayed the same. I drove ~100 miles since then under ~40C ambient. I followed the instructions faithfully... which scares me for some reason.

So, fingers crossed, problem solved?!?!?!

That's only a temporary fix. Strollin has a point about the intake manifold and that's a possibility too. Check the bolts for tightness.

My guess.
if you don;t have oil/water mixture (sign of head gasket lead) - seen as a brown mayonaise type substance in the engine/under oil cap.
if you see no excessive white smoke in exhaust.
if temperatures are stable.
if pressure is stable (it's not blowing the radiator cap and coming out the over pressure valve...
if you are not down on power.

Then it's likely you have the same problem I do.
the seal on your water pump is broken, and water is slowly seeping passed it, not enough to leave a trail, just enough to mean you need a regular top up.

if you don't have symptoms of head gasket failure, then don't jump to suspecting that and trash the car thinking it is an expensive fix!

Non of the above exist. Driving experience in itself is completely normal.

Stop Leak solution is still in effect. I did drive a lot since applying it too and not a drop missing. Guess I'll stay on standby for now. I did wash under the engine yesterday so any old sighs are gone.

I sure hope it's not the water pump. In this car it's a pain to replace it. There is another possibility and that's the block coolant plugs (if I get the name right). Some of them are far behind hidden to see, almost like the water pump's case but in another direction.

Oh, I passed the inspection yesterday. It was an unpleasant experience, but it paid off. Just recently the inspection has become obligatory. Not valid inspection means a fine but only if caught. It was required before only to renew registration and to sell the car.

We (other side of pond) call them core plugs.
(presumably we both name them for a purpose they provide...)

The core in the casting to create the water jacket etc is held in place through these holes, (that's why they need to be plugged afterwards (with core plugs)

They provide some protection from expansion of ice in the engine, being able to be pushed out, and therefore save the block from cracking...

Back
Top Bottom