Random Chit Chat

Why did you say "but" as if getting a salary bump is bad?

Anyways I'd always pick a larger company over a small one. It's more secure I guess. Although I think they wouldn't hesitate as much to fire you. Maybe smaller companies are more tolerant of mistakes?
I wasn't implying that getting a salary bump is bad, I was implying that the modest bump I got wouldn't normally be enough to make me jump ship but coupled with moving to a larger, more stable company makes the move worthwhile.

I'm quite positive that I could have found companies willing to pay me more money.

I have worked for large and small companies. They both have their pluses and minuses. The best company I ever worked for was tiny but a really great place to work. Unfortunately, it got bought and merged with other companies so that it doesn't exist any longer.

Last edited:
hehehe..yeah drop it already!!! That thing is damned heavy!!

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Well, fellow you ready for our next storms?? We are getting ready for this one!

Larger companies seem to be more tolerant of mistakes if I'm honest. Global companies drag a lot of dead wood!
Maybe they carry a lot of dead wood but I don't think they are more tolerant. Maybe it's too expensive and time consuming to keep tabs on everyone.

I wasn't implying that getting a salary bump is bad, I was implying that the modest bump I got wouldn't normally be enough to make me jump ship but coupled with moving to a larger, more stable company makes the move worthwhile.

I'm quite positive that I could have found companies willing to pay me more money.

I have worked for large and small companies. They both have their pluses and minuses. The best company I ever worked for was tiny but a really great place to work. Unfortunately, it got bought and merged with other companies so that it doesn't exist any longer.

Right. I thought you meant something like that.

Yeah I guess that's the issue with small companies. They can disappear before you do.

Anyways I agree that the stability is work sacrificing a few dollars. Especially if you are relatively old when it's harder to find work. At least it's that way here.

I have worked at a few companies some i love and some i hated, some big some small, but one thing that rings true to all off them is any employee is replaceable.

It is harder to find work i agree, but i think the answer to what is a better option is very much decided by the individual involved.

I for example think life is too short to play it safe, i wanna take shots and make something big of myself.

Many may disagree and say that stability is as the core of their needs and do the same thing for a decade slowly climbing the ladder if they are lucky.

I think outside factors also influence how you think about a career... are there people depending on you for money ? a family ? or is it just you... do you have support if your risky career moves fail ?

As for the question about big and small companies, the way i see things is that the world is shifting to a bigger divide in small in rich companies , same as the rich and poor , bigger companies are killing or absorbing smaller compnies everyday.

Now as a individual you can decide im going to work for a small company help build it up... so you throw the dice when it gets absorbed you will be dropped or praised for being somebody who is a stalwart and should be on-board with the merge.

If you are in a big company going up is tough i think, because of competition of internal politics and a general less attention to individuals as the reason behind successes, but i think you are a little safer there career wise.

I could be wrong i dont think every big company is the same or every small one the same so again everything is based on individual circumstances.

There are no solid answers to this.... is anything in life certain anyway.

First time I've logged on in years,

H...h...hi...g...guys

Are any of the old timers still around? Brookfield? Thelis? LHUser? Celegorm? Lowndsey? Root? I Havn't been here proper since David Linden owned the forums.

Edit; Just realised my sig is atleast 8 years old!

Last edited:
Root is still posting. Celegorn still lurks around but doesn't post at all. The new generation has taken over I'm afraid!

Back
Top Bottom