Random Chit Chat

I second that Win10 can be used for free with some minor limitations. But maybe this showed up in later version(s) of Win10, not in earlier releases. It's almost 3 years old now.

Personally if I'm to pay for one time an amount I can afford or save to get the best compatibility (and it's already too good to compare actually), I'd go for it. Now with DX12, even Wine has become even more obsolete for me and many others. Yes, games are involved in this specific point, but other areas are there too and at large. I remember having trouble installing a game pad in the past.

Yes, it was FedEx I read of. Dunno why I confused it with DHL (well, it's obvious why, really).

You guys are confusing "free" with stealing. I suppose you can install and use Win 10 without paying for it but it isn't free, you do not have a license for it. That may or may not be legal in your country but it is certainly illegal in the US.

Linux distros are free because they are open source and the license to use them is given away freely.

You have a licence. It's just not a paid one. Is using CCleaner free a crime? I'm not tricking Microsoft. They can prevent me from using it at any moment with the push of a button.

Being open source is not a requirement for something to be free.

I view it differently. If the OS is up on their website available to download without paying (and it is in microsoft's case) then it's a free OS. It does have an option for a paid license, but the main software is made available for free. I have the enterprise version on a box i use for playing around with hyper-v. I'm certainly no enterprise, but as long as i don't mind the stock themes/appearance, it all works.

There's two ways to install Windows.

One is to install over existing OS. In this case it's uses the key of that OS as its key and thus legal.

Two is a fresh newly formatted drive and will ask for the key. It will use your OS install DVD as the key.

Ok, you don't have one. What then?
You get the watermark and you can't change your background or the color scheme. Forever.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

It's on the links I posted...

Not free per se, but "can be" used legally for free.

But either way, the copyright stuff that you check a box for that says "I agree on something" is what decides that (whatever it's called). If nothing is mentioned there against this then it is legal.

However, having MS providing the ISO download with no restrictions or rules on their website and giving an option to skip entering the key seems like an obvious "we don't mind" as long as you don't have a problem with the water mark and the customization restrictions.

Just like using some demos of some software or games with some restrictions if not activated. This reminds me of the shareware games in the old days.

Back
Top Bottom