Random Chit Chat

Well I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year.

We made it through another year, lets hope this year goes even better than last year.

Also I had to work today on new years day, but at least we get time an 1/2

Back in 1977, I went to work for IBM as a technician working on the IBM 3350 Disk Drive pictured below.

The picture actually shows a "string" of 4 of them connected together (typical installation) which consists of a controller, 2 slaves and an alternate controller. This "string" of drives was the length of 4 washer/dryer sets placed side-by-side, required 220VAC to operate, stored a whopping 2.4GB of data and cost in the vicinity of $80,000. At the time, these disk drives were considered to be the best drives available.

Yesterday, I bought a 10TB 3.5" disk drive for my PC for $329. It can store the equivalent of about 4,000 of these strings of 3350 Disk Drives.

Isn't technology amazing?

Attachments

• 3350.jpg
    3350.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'll bet you that if you told them back then that we, in the future, will hold a 10TB drive in our hand...

... they will have you committed. :lol:

I'll bet you that if you told them back then that we, in the future, will hold a 10TB drive in our hand...

... they will have you committed. :lol:

it's the half terabyte microSD you could fit on a quarter that is really astonishing. that'd have been a small warehouse of those drives.

Absolutely Root, the storage capacity of those tiny microSD cards that are the size of the fingernail on my pinky finger is mind boggling.

@Celery - If you tried to tell them back then about the power we now hold in our hands with the average smart phone, they would have you committed twice as fast!

LOL! :lol:

"Strollin, two gentlemen in white coats wants to speak with you. They have a doctor with them too and he's holding a syringe."

Finally ordered a gun belt. $77 in the hole. :eek:

Been needing the belt for a long time as my belt's been sagging under the weight of the pistol. The one I ordered is steel cored and extra thick,

Made in the US of A! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom