Random Chit Chat

It's something that's available on select high-end tablets, such as the Microsoft Surface, and various Thinkpads. It's still vastly inferior to a real keyboard, assuming you know how to type, but I do find it more intuitive than tablet-size touchscreen keyboards. Microsoft's recognition software has very few issues detecting my handwriting, despite it being borderline-illegible when I'm not taking great care to write neatly. It's also self-training, so its detection ability improves every time a correction is issued.

Why other high-end tablets, such as the iPad, don't have this is beyond me.

I've tried using a capacitive stylus on other tablets before, but it simply isn't usable. The inability to distinguish the stylus's touch from the palm's makes it an ergonomic nightmare. Also, the resolution tends to be fairly low, meaning only huge writing will work. With a real digitizer, I can write about the size I would in a wide-ruled notebook, and it gets detected exactly the same as much larger writing.

Last edited:
I have successfully vanquished the evil that is PWM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNxX8ecygto

The left computer is pre-modification, while the right one is post-.

It seems that 8kHz is the minimum frequency that isn't visibly obvious to me. The default for this computer was 200Hz. Terrible.

EDIT: I now have the problem of the clock generator being within my hearing range. It seems to be unable to go above 15kHz, even if I set it well above that. Oh well. At least I managed to turn an unusable computer into a usable one.

Last edited:
WTG @foothead!

I leave tomorrow to start the new job on Monday. I just remembered to look at the email I got like a month ago and realized that hey, I have forms to fill in and print out. Good thing I looked today.

A digitizer pen for handwriting recognition needs to become a standard accessory for all tablets. This is so vastly superior to any touch keyboard I've tried.
I have 2 Surface tablets, my personal Pro 3 and a Pro 4 as my work computer. Both have the digitizer pen which I never use.

I've tried taking notes with them but prefer just using the keyboard (both Pro's have the type-cover attached keyboard).

I'm not any kind of artist so I don't try to draw with them either.

I leave tomorrow to start the new job on Monday. I just remembered to look at the email I got like a month ago and realized that hey, I have forms to fill in and print out. Good thing I looked today.
Nothing like waiting until the last second! Good luck with the new job.

Last edited:
I could certainly use a stylus once in a while on my phone more than on the laptop, but I'm not going to blow >$20 on a decent one.

Perhaps my next computer will be a hybrid (surface analogue) and I will get a stylus with that.

Go to a dollar store and get one for a buck. I found this at Dollar Tree, I bought 4 and gave one to my sis.

Back
Top Bottom