Random Chit Chat

I'm 35 and still living with my parents. We have it hear that we don't move out before getting married, and even when that happens we mostly move somewhere near by, and it is common to have that in the same building.

Marriage? So much trouble in that :p

I'm just trying to get mine to "get out of the damn house!" for good...
Me too! I have 3 grown kids (ages 25, 27, 31) living at home still. The youngest is sick so she has an excuse. She had moved out until she got sick. The 27 year old has moved out and then back in again 3 times. The oldest of the three has never even attempted to move out on his own.

Curious. What's the common age range kids moves out on their own in the US?
25 seam late to me. Not to mention 31 :blink: That would turn off any danish woman that he was trying to score.

I have a friend that just turned 25 that still lives with his parents, and we tease him for that.
I myself moved out at the age of 23. My farther even considered trowing me out at 22 because he wanted me to be an adult and handle myself. My sister was 19.

Here in Australia lot of the young ones move pretty young from early to mid teens and onwards. One of my younger brothers moved out at 17 and my twin sister moved out when she was 20.

I think it's a product of the current culture... I left home when I was 17-- straight into boot camp. My sister was not far behind me.

My mom kicked my youngest brother out when he was something like 25, after she got tired of his boozing &etc.

MY wife left home at 19, to get married. Actually, I think she got married to her first husband just so she could move out. But her family/culture was a lot tighter than mine-- my sibs are scattered around the nation, while hers all live within fifty miles of the house they grew up in (literally right across the street from my house), so she didn't have a problem with the kids staying here well into their adult years.

Except now they have become a burden, both financially and emotionally.

I believe this does not have fixed criteria and rules. That's one thing that makes us humans special. Animals (no offense intended) have much more fixed criteria and rules for that. Flexibility and vast individual differences are natures we humans have.

Don't ask. Dunno where all of the above blabber came from :blink:

I moved out when I was 18 (joined the army). My adult kids living at home do so because they don't earn enough money to afford to live on their own. Where we live in Calif., rents are high which makes it especially hard for young people just getting out on their own.

I moved out when I was 18 (joined the army). My adult kids living at home do so because they don't earn enough money to afford to live on their own. Where we live in Calif., rents are high which makes it especially hard for young people just getting out on their own.

Very true.

But then, they are so comfortable in my house, that they haven't the motivation to pursue a higher paying (or any) job that would enable them to move out. I love my kids enough to not want them literally living in the street.

... but I don't like them enough to want them literally sleeping in my living-room, either. At some point, the chick has to leave the nest, and it's cold and wet and dangerous outside; but those are facts in any life well-lived.

I'm looking at the prospect of dragging my fifty-year-old self to deserts and war-zones just to escape my own family, earn enough to walk out of the house that I bought with my own hard work and effort, and in the process somehow divest myself of the myriad leeches attached to my wallet.

... and said leeches want to lay a guilt-trip on me for spending my money on me instead of them?

Back
Top Bottom