Raging at the computer hardware business.

xguynameddavex

In Runtime
Ok so here is my rant, let me know if you feel my pain.

Recently my "brand new" computer (in my sig) took a dump and I had to revert back to my 2.8 p4 HT, Radeon 9600 machine. It isn't too bad but I am extremely short on funds so I haven't had the money to get the other parts for my new one.

This machine plays COD4 PERFECTLY on medium-high settings. The frame rate is excellent, everything. I literally have not run into a game that this machine just flat out won't run.

So I "get" Mirrors edge, Burnout paradise, and fallout 3. I attempt to run all of these games, and every time I do... It crashes before showing me a single splash screen. I install mirrors edge only to find an error message that says... "Your video card does not support Shader model 3."

So I say to myself, "Ok I just need to update the drivers to support that."

But NOOO, shader model 3 is a hardware factor of the video card. And my video card is shader model 2 according to every source I have checked.

All three of these games flat out will not run because a few bits of memory in my video card dont output shader model 3.

So I did a little experiment...

I was doing some research and I found that there is a .ini file for fallout 3 that you could edit to make it run, without doing the check for shader model 3. I did the necessary modifications and got it running. Not to my surprise, the game ran PERFECTLY.

I know it is just business, and I have known it for a long time. But it just boils me to a point of endless frustration knowing that they can get away with releasing 1mb/1mghz of memory/processor updates at a time, knowing that we will keep buying it. And when they see the sales are going down, they pay off the game companies to start using a universal technology to force us to buy new hardware.

Yup, it's one great big conspiracy by the hardware and software manufacturers to separate you from your money. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom