Question for you GB folks across the pond...

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
I'm thinking about getting a fake custom plate made to represent my Focus's European heritage (Ford Europe rocks!). Anyway, I want it to be as authentic as possible. The one I'm looking at right now is a white one with a blue stripe down the left hand side with GB printed in white and a ring of stars over it. Is that right? I've also seen them in yellow and other styles with the actual flag and was just wondering how all that works. What do I need to look for?

EDIT: Here's a picture of exactly what I have in mind right now.
gotzetec.jpg

British plates are very simple. White for the front, yellow for the back.

gb_ae02rya.jpg

Is that all? Thanks, I appreciate that. This one is going up front so I assume it will be 100% authentic looking then. And it matches the back plate and overall paint scheme of the car. Perfect!

What exactly does that mean? Does the GB tag have the Union Jack on there?

You don't even need the GB and European Union logo (ring of stars), but some have it anyway. Some people have the Cross of St George and England written underneath, some people have the cross of St Andrew with SCO underneath, but it varies.

Lacey's is the most correct, although his is the style introduced in September 2001.

Older British plates up until then were a letter followed by 2-3 numbers and three other letters e.g. R212 DTS (not mine, I made it up on the spot). The initial letter denotes the age period (I think R was September '97 - March '98) and if there's an S in the last three letters, it usually means it was registered in Scotland.

The new style (Lacey's) is this: the first two letters denote where the car was registered, which isn't always obvious - you can get a list of them. There's a number 0x which switches to 5x every six months. So, in September 2001, we had 51, which switched to 02 in March 02, which switched to 52 in September 02, and so on. We're on 56, switching to 07 on March 1st this year.

Or... can you tell I might be a little bored right now? :D

Haha. Thanks for the input. Yeah, it's going to just be a vanity tag so no need for the actual breakdown of the alphanumeric. But I think I'm going to go with this style, it will look good for sure.

It's a Focus, designed by Ford Europe, introduced in Europe in the 98 model year and brought over to the US virtually unaltered for 2000 (Few safety and cosmetic things, as well as a slightly toned down suspension). One of the best moves Ford ever made, now I won't claim any of the newer USDM Focus's, they are nasty looking without some serious TLC and lots of money. The only one that looks OK is the ST sedan, but it's nothing like the ST you guys have. The 08 is even worse, it looks like a cheap Saturn and they ditched the hatch body style.

I want a real European MKII focus, not this MK 1.5 and non-hatchback crap. Shame on you, Ford.

Back
Top Bottom