Question About a Forum Rule

waldorfpc

In Runtime
It has been a long time since I've been here, so I forgot.

If you have posted a topic, and it does not get answered, are you allowed to bump it back up after waiting for a certain amount of time, let's say six hours? just wondering, as I asked a question in another forum, and it has not received any responses. I'd like to do all that I can to stay in line with the forum rules and guidelines. Thanks so much.

I would suggest you be patient, it is less than 2 hours since you made the thread, give people a chance to come on to the forum and have a look, if you try to bump it now it will only automerge. I believe it will automerge for 24 hours, or 12, not sure which.
If your thread drops off the main page I have no problem with you bumping it, I cannot find a rule to clarify it, maybe one of the other mods can clarify.

I would suggest you be patient, it is less than 2 hours since you made the thread, give people a chance to come on to the forum and have a look, if you try to bump it now it will only automerge. I believe it will automerge for 24 hours, or 12, not sure which.
If your thread drops off the main page I have no problem with you bumping it, I cannot find a rule to clarify it, maybe one of the other mods can clarify.

It's a grey area, not really in a rule.

But hey, if you post too soon automerge fixes it all anyways.

but will it bump his thread? I thought posts auto-merge but idk if it bumps it to the top as well.

If no one comes in and sees the new topic in the first 24hrs. you would likely want to bump it rather then starting a second thread for the same topic in order to bring it to attention in the new posts list. That would allow people possibly reviewing and deciding to respond a chance to research additional information especially when a more difficult problem is being presented.

Without seeing a 40page booklet to start with providing any information that would be helpful like error information on a blue screen or general system information for OS or hardware related problems can draw more response then simply a long speech without no specifics.

Different people with differing skill levels will obviously log on at different times of day and night and may be the right person you need for help at that time. bump! but not every two minutes.

If the forum has auto merge like ours does, then it could be an issue for bumping. However my general rule of thumb is give people at least 24 hours before bumping. Forums have members from vastly different time zones (as we here know) and they should all get a chance to see your post before bumping.

That's what I was taking into account there as well as simply allowing enough time and not being in too much of a rush.

One thing to do when looking at the new posts is start off with the last page while still in the active listing to see if any were left unanswered. Those will tend to be from 20+ to over 24hrs. in some cases.

Back
Top Bottom