Question about a Debit Card

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I opened an Chase checking account last Monday, and got my card on the Monday of this week. On the card it says "Debit", which is what I wanted, and I dont think I can even have an Credit Card since I dont have any credit and dont want people to cosign.
Yesterday, I bought an make up pencil sharpener for my mom, which comes out to $1.02 total, and when I used my card, it asked for my Pin Number.
Today, I went to Mcdonalds to eat, and used my card again, but this time, it didnt ask for anything, it just approved right away. That normal?

Since its a debit card, does that mean it will always withdraw from my account right away?
and not do what credit cards do where it uses money thats not mine and then withdraw at the end of the month?

I think it varies, on what stores you use your card at. At my bank, when I use my debit to purchase something, the money isn't takin out until a few days later.

when it doesn't ask for a pin number the cashier ran the card as a credit card which doesn't require a pin number but the charges will all come out of your account. the difference is that the credit charges usually come out a little later than the debit card purchases do so make sure that you keep an eye on your funds, balances, and purchases to make sure you don't over draw your account. Most of the time you make a purchase with a card the cashier will ask you debit or credit and you can choose either one even though it is a debit card. Usually with credit purchases it requires a signature but not always.

The money will only come out of your bank account yes, unless you go into your overdraft (which if you don't have credit your unlike to have). But as Maro said the different stores will submit their bank records at different times. Buy something on saturday and you might not be charged till Monday/Tuesday (depending on processing time) but when the charge does come it'll come out your bank account.

yeah, I write down everything I spent so far on my checkbook.
I go online to check my account once in awhile, but I only do that at home since it seems safer.

You might be able to get a credit card that you can spend around $300 or less on. Make sure you read up on all of the fees for your debit card, so you can figure out how to get as few fees as possible.

You can get a credit card with a $500 credit limit, your dog could get one of those. If you don't have a job, just put "self employed" and a figure for how much you make. They won't care. Just make sure you don't get one with an outrageous interest rate.

Yeah... I want to avoid getting a credit card till I actually have a job or finished College.
I was just making sure that when I use my debit card and have money in the back, I wouldnt be using the money that isn't mine.

Do you guys know if we could use Debit on the vending machines? i didnt try it, but I saw one that says Cash or Credit, and didnt mention anything about debit. Then again, not many place does.

Back
Top Bottom