Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default The Queen's birthday parade

I've just been watching this & the the trooping of the colour on the BBC, impeccable as always, but these days as I watch, it goes through my mind, what if....
Yes, what if terrorists were to strike, it's a huge square & at one stage the Queen & Prince Phillip are driven in a flimsy horse-drawn carriage across that vast expanse on their way back to Buckingham Palace, imagine, a high-flying drone launches a guided missile.........well it could happen, I know that we can't protect our royalty all the time, when she's meeting people in public, the police can't possibly search all those people for suicide bombers, I'm very patriotic, that's probably the reason for me being, well, paranoic, for want of a better word.

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: The Queen's birthday parade

I doubt terrorists could get their hands on an uav which has potential to launch weapons.

But anyway, you do have a point. All you would need a sniper rifle and a skilled guy to use the sniper. I bet the security around the area is pretty good though, but with some proper planning it is possible to kill anyone. (if you get away with it is a different thing though)

Old 06-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura View Post
I doubt terrorists could get their hands on an uav which has potential to launch weapons.
People also doubted that terrorists could hijack 4 planes in one day... bit they did. Osama is a VERY powerful person, even now he has a (small) group of supporters that would do anything for him.
bigggnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:

But anyway, you do have a point. All you would need a sniper rifle and a skilled guy to use the sniper. I bet the security around the area is pretty good though, but with some proper planning it is possible to kill anyone. (if you get away with it is a different thing though)
The thing is, fanatics don't care if they get caught, they say that they do it in the name of Allah, which is like christians saying that god told them to murder people.' we'll never understand them, imagine a room full of cockneys, potential suicide bombers saying "Yeah, that's right guv, our wives won't mind if we blow ourselves to bl**din' bits, it's all for for the cause innit?"
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggnick View Post
People also doubted that terrorists could hijack 4 planes in one day... bit they did. Osama is a VERY powerful person, even now he has a (small) group of supporters that would do anything for him.
smuggling a few weapons into a commercial airplane is different than stealing a vehicle (one that costs millions of dollars) from the US military.

And brookfield, you are absolutely right. They don't really care if they get caught, which of course is a big problem.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Golden Master

You guys do have to think of it from their point of view. They were brought up to think like that. It's an honor for them to die for Allah's will.
And beside that, Muslims believe in reincarnation. So committing suicide isn't quite as terrible for them since they believe they will be back in another life anyway.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:

Never say never. Anything could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
You guys do have to think of it from their point of view. They were brought up to think like that. It's an honor for them to die for Allah's will.
And beside that, Muslims believe in reincarnation. So committing suicide isn't quite as terrible for them since they believe they will be back in another life anyway.
Agreed. QFT.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
Never say never. Anything could happen.
I didn't say never. I said I doubt it will happen.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Hahaha, I suppose.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Golden Master

and anyway. Even stealing an uav wouldn't be enough. You would need a guy to operate it, and don't know if they can even operate independently without the other stuff. (the predator system has the primary aircraft, multiple other air vehicles and some ground stuff like communications etc)
I once read that the predator system needs something like 55 people to operate it.