Putting animals down, right or wrong?

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
well my dog is going to be put down tomorow. she is 13. her legs are begining to give out, shes almost def and her eyes are getting bad too.

not just in my case but do you think it's right to put down animals or not?

it's not my choice to put her down but if i had a choice i would too.

If the animal is in pain, and it is not curable, then yes its right to put them down.

Its wrong to put down healthy animals. period.

Well, IMO the only possible answer is yes. If an animal is old and in a bad condition it will suffer, and what's the point of that? My dog was put down about one year ago because it was old and could barely walk. And I know it was the right thing to do. The thing with putting for example dogs down coz they bite ppl is another thing. But in those cases too I think it's better to put them down than to stick them into a cage for the rest of their lives. (I don't know if they really put them in cages, but what other places is there to put a dog that attacks ppl)

If they attack people all they need is some confort and time spent with them.... 99% of the time they can be trained out of aggression. all that needs to be done is to have someone who gives them alot of care and attention, to persuade then that all humans are not going to hurt them. 99% of vicious animals have been abused in some way, which is why they have turned vicious. this is what i believe.........

Your are right that a lot of animals attacking ppl have been abused. But though atleast dogs don't have a too good memory, if someone hurts them they will remember it, and for a very long time. And yes most of them can be trained out of aggression, but it might take years to do that. If someone is willing to try and train an animal out of it's aggression, it's better than having the animal put down but there just ain't enough ppl like this to help all of the aggressive animals.

mark thorpe said:
If they attack people all they need is some confort and time spent with them.... 99% of the time they can be trained out of aggression. all that needs to be done is to have someone who gives them alot of care and attention, to persuade then that all humans are not going to hurt them. 99% of vicious animals have been abused in some way, which is why they have turned vicious. this is what i believe.........

False logic....
Most attact type animals, Dobermans, pitbulls, boxers, sheperd.. Not all the time but most when they are aggressive adults, and have th taste of blood (bitten another animal or human) they wont return to a state to be as a pet..

It's like taking a monkey as a pet.. Sometimes it work,, sometimes it doesn't

As for the question...
I believe if the animal is harmfull or in a state or pain beyond relief, I feel it's the right thing to do..
I have a Mini Snouzer that had a big tumor on it's hind quarters,, Couldn't walk and howled in pain.. I ended up taking the dog to the vet and having it put down.

yes if the dog is suffering, but to just put it down is a no. if they've bitten something andhave the taste for blood then they shouldnt be put down right away. they should be cared for to see if maybe they will grow outta it. like if a guard dog bites something they dont usually go around attacking random people. police dogs bite people all the time adn tehy dont get put down because tehy go crazy

money_man said:
police dogs bite people all the time adn tehy dont get put down because tehy go crazy

Very true, but Police spend around 30-40 thousand dollars training the dog before hand..

BuzzStPoint said:
False logic....
Most attact type animals, Dobermans, pitbulls, boxers, sheperd.. Not all the time but most when they are aggressive adults, and have th taste of blood (bitten another animal or human) they wont return to a state to be as a pet..

It's like taking a monkey as a pet.. Sometimes it work,, sometimes it doesn't

As for the question...
I believe if the animal is harmfull or in a state or pain beyond relief, I feel it's the right thing to do..
I have a Mini Snouzer that had a big tumor on it's hind quarters,, Couldn't walk and howled in pain.. I ended up taking the dog to the vet and having it put down.

I hace to agree with you completly there. Once the dog as tasted the blood of a human thats it.

Back
Top Bottom