PSX on PC

I tried that Java emulator deal. It didn't work for me. I'll have to see if I have an update for Java before trying again.....

me still gots an origonal psx somwhere its chipped as well , i wonder if there is a emulator for psp cos i realy wanna play vice city stories but i cannot afford a psp

MikeReiner said:
hah! ps3 emulators.. don't make me laugh.. generally you need a computer much stronger than the console your trying to emulate.. we didn't have problems with that since just about everyone has a computer stronger than a nes, snes, genesis, etc..

Most people have computers stronger than the PS2.. but emulating it is a bitch.
Did you know that just about any computer's stats are probably better then the PS3's.. if im not mistaken it only has a graphics card that compares with a FX5700 ...

muz379 said:
me still gots an origonal psx somwhere its chipped as well , i wonder if there is a emulator for psp cos i realy wanna play vice city stories but i cannot afford a psp
there is, but it doesnt play commercial games :D

Steemax said:
Did you know that just about any computer's stats are probably better then the PS3's.. if im not mistaken it only has a graphics card that compares with a FX5700 ...
The PS3 has a video card based on the g70. (GeForce 7 series)
As an owner of such a video card, I can tell you right now, the FX5700 is a weak POS. It could never pull out what we see on the PS3 right now. And even then, my video card (7600GT) isn't as strong as a PS3's GPU.

As it stands, my PC, which sports an AMD64 3200+ and a GeForce 7600GT can't even manage better than 10 FPS is freakin' Final Fantasy 10. on a PS2 emulator...
In their demonstration video, the had to use a system with an AMD 4400+ X2.
to get 40fps in sonic riders...

I don't think you realize, that in terms of emulation, the processor has to fool the game data into seeing hardware that doesn't exist, and then it has to actually try to run all that crap at a decent framerate.. this is very hard and taxing. As game consoles get more advanced, this gets more and more difficult, and the gap of power between the original console and the PC they try to use gets bigger and bigger.

You can't just expect a computer which happens to be stronger than the console to run the console games perfectly in emulation.. a lot of optimization is required, on top of having vastly superior hardware..
The XBox1 sports a geforce3 mx, a 766 mhz CPU, and 64 megs of ram.. sometimes, it has problems playing some games on an n64 emulator.. framerates can get pretty bad.

The super nintendo has something like an 3.5mhz CPU, yet my old computer, with a 300mhz CPU, could barely emulate that thing at 20-40 fps depending on the game.

PCSX2 is the only ps2 emulator to get even close to running commercial games fluidly (in fact it's the only one to run commercial games..)

So until some magic happens, don't even think that we have a shot at a PS3 emulator for years.

well mike reiner is right, but the ps3 has like 256mb of xdr ram, which is clocked to uber fast speeds so it processes stuff really fast even though it has so little of it.

Back
Top Bottom