Prop 8, Gay Marriage, the whole shabang...

It's not wrong to be homosexual, but it does defy the definition of marriage.

I see what you're saying here, but if our GOVERNMENT uses marriage, then we have a responsibility to either make that term all encompassing (which it is not), or drop the idea completely. Because it goes 100% against the idea of "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

I don't think we should change what marriage is, that doesn't even make sense; but we have to do something, and it's going to take years to totally drop marriage legally. To people with an average lifespan of 60-80 years old, it is ridiculous to make them wait 10 years to be treated as equals.

I see what you're saying here, but if our GOVERNMENT uses marriage, then we have a responsibility to either make that term all encompassing (which it is not), or drop the idea completely.

What's wrong with civil unions? Same rights, different definition. Simple.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you're saying - the point of this thread was debating, and I was saying if this turned into a flame war, I'd make another thread for debating. I get it; you voted for Prop 8... I am now just asking some questions as to why, but all I'm getting back is things Obama said, and 1 sentence responses that just don't do anything. If you don't want to talk, that's fine - but telling me I fail when I'm putting a lot of thought into what I'm writing here isn't really fair.

I don't agree with it but sooner or later it's going to be legal. So get it over with now, that way people can stop arguing about it.

What's wrong with civil unions? Same rights, different definition. Simple.

Civil unions are a great idea - but be real; do you really plan on having a civil union? No, because this country is based highly on tradition - unfortunately the only two options I see here are completely getting rid of that tradition (and making it civil unions only), or modifying the tradition (allowing gays to marry, which is equally as tricky and confusing). This country is about equality, separate but equal is not right and it is exactly what you are proposing - separate title, equal rights.

Civil unions are a great idea - but be real; do you really plan on having a civil union? No, because this country is based highly on tradition - unfortunately the only two options I see here are completely getting rid of that tradition (and making it civil unions only), or modifying the tradition (allowing gays to marry, which is equally as tricky and confusing). This country is about equality, separate but equal is not right and it is exactly what you are proposing - separate title, equal rights.

I'll go against my original promise - I voted against Proposition 8. While I feel it's not the definition of marriage, I feel it's wrong to take rights away from a person.

There. Does that shut you up?

I told you how I felt, but it wasn't good enough for you.

A debate is typically something that is started by telling people how you feel, and then talking about it... If it was only about what people initially believed, I would have made this a poll.

Back
Top Bottom