Prop 8, Gay Marriage, the whole shabang...

I don't care if gays are in a domestic partnership. The only complication is the title of "married". I associate it with Atomic's definition, more specifically the one on the quote. They should donate it a different name.

I don't care if gays are in a domestic partnership. The only complication is the title of "married". I associate it with Atomic's definition, more specifically the one on the quote. They should donate it a different name.

I agree completely, marriage is a religious thing; but because the government recognizes it with legal benefits, it should not be able to exclude gay couples. It would be very difficult for a government to say that marriage no longer has any legal meaning, but until that point, homosexuals should be able to get married. They shouldn't have to wait for our lagging government and people to get with the program.

No flame war. I just like talking. If anyone turns this into a flame war, I'll make a new thread for just debating.

I didn't say that this is a flame war. I was saying that this is a controversial topic, and seeing some of the recent topics around here, it's going to off on a crazy tangent and turn into some kind of very malicious debate. It's just the nature of CF. :rolleyes:

Well, funny thing about it is that it's the only issue I agree with President Elect Obama on. I believe it's wrong for homosexual couples to be married.

He also said the following.

“And I was reminded,” Mr. Obama added, “that it is my obligation, not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society but also as a
Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to
support gay marriage is misguided, just as I cannot claim
infallibility in my support of abortion rights.”

Have you asked Obama these same questions? Or does he get a pass because he's the "chosen one"?

I don't really associate myself with any party, I pick the candidate based on who I agree with on the most issues. Unfortunately there will never be a candidate I will agree with on all issues, but until then I do the best with what I have. The person I actually supported most in this election had no chance of winning, so instead of voting for him, I voted for the man who I knew had a shot at winning and had at least most of the same views as me. He is not a chosen one at all; many many flaws. This, in my opinion, is one of them. But I'm not asking Obama, I'm asking you as a citizen and voter. Why you think it's fair to use your own power to take away other peoples' rights.

Yup, he did say that, but he's still against gay marriage. That is called "riding the fence" in political terms. It's smart politics while running for office.

This isn't about Obama!! This is about an issue that WE actually have the ability to work on-- that's why I'm asking YOU GUYS, not Obama

Have you asked Obama these same questions? Or does he get a pass because he's the "chosen one"?

I'm not a religious man so he would not be the chosen one. Gay marriage, in my opinion, should be least of his worries. There are more important things out there. Additionally, I don't really care for it, so his views on it don't matter to me. However, when discussing the subject I will comment.

Back
Top Bottom