Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Exclamation Prop 8, Gay Marriage, the whole shabang...

What do you all think about the passing of Proposition 8 in CA? I know it happened a while ago, but I think it's still an interesting topic, and a fun portal into the discussion of same sex marriage.

I used to be a very adamant republican who was very opposed to gay marriage; one of my best friends then asked me the question, "why do you care?". I think this has been one of the most influential questions in my life (silly, huh), and basically the basis for my political views now. Why do people care about things that make other people happy that have NO BEARING whatsoever on them?

I understand people say marriage is a religious joining of two individuals, but you've gotta realize that the church has a huge benefit with marriage in that the government recognizes marriage with legal perks and needs. So my thing is, you get to pick a thing; 1. all marriages no longer have governmental or legal meaning (and everyone who is already married has to go get a civil union to get benefits) or 2. allow any gay couple to get married.

Either one is fine with me, but I think it is ridiculous that Prop 8 passed... If you ask me, this shouldn't even be left up to the states. A federal law should be passed to just force it on the people and get them to get over it; after all, is this not the point of government? To impose things on people to further the development and progress of the country? Sick of seeing perfectly good and happy people have to live their lives in shame because they can't be seen as equals.

If you're argument is that they should be able to get civil unions but not get married, then I say to you: how about you get a civil union and don't get married. History has shown us what a terrible and hateful idea "separate but equal" is. The rights are the same with civil union and marriage, but the titles are separate. Separate but equal.

There is so little love and happiness in the world, and when it comes along in the form of homosexuality, I am not asking you to support it: only asking that you not use your own negative energy to keep others from being happy. If two people truly love each other, this should be something that we as a society can cherish and respect.

Thoughts/comments/anything? In the mood to chit chat tonight lol

Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Prop 8, Gay Marriage, the whole shabang...

In Florida we passed Amendment 2 which banned gay marriage, but sadly it also took away most rights for couples that aren't married. So whether it's a gay couple or two elderly companions that are not married, if someone ends up in the hospital, that partner can't do jack diddly squat for the person in trouble because they are not married.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Wow that's kind of double counter productive lol
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

I voted for Prop 8, 'nuff said.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Atomic Rooster - care to explain why?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

the plumbing doesn't connect right. 'nuff said.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Well, funny thing about it is that it's the only issue I agree with President Elect Obama on. I believe it's wrong for homosexual couples to be married.

Quote:
I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
the plumbing doesn't connect right. 'nuff said.
So this to you is a legitimate reason to discriminate against an entire group of people in the country...?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

(((CH is starting to wonder when exactly this thread will get locked after some flame war)))

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Well, funny thing about it is that it's the only issue I agree with President Elect Obama on. I believe it's wrong for homosexual couples to be married.
But just because you think it is wrong doesn't mean you have to vote against it? How exactly are you at all effected by other people being in love and getting married? They're going to be a couple either way, do you really think it's fair to take away their legal benefits and ability to be fully recognized by the government? It just doesn't effect you; why not let people be happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Head View Post
(((CH is starting to wonder when exactly this thread will get locked after some flame war)))
No flame war. I just like talking. If anyone turns this into a flame war, I'll make a new thread for just debating.