Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Quote:
If Sony wants to pay for open source code, I am sure they would pay twice as much for hand coded too.
I'm sure Sony doesn't give a crap in regards to whether or not it's open source. All that matters is that it works, and does everything that was specified before the site was built.

Quote:
But I can also say, that if something were to go wrong with that site, if the webmaster doesn't know what he is doing, he will have one hell of a time trying to fix it.
How so? Have you seen what that site can do? If a person can do that with Drupal, I'm pretty sure he knows what to do if something should go wrong.

Quote:
Granted yes sometimes some clients will want you to use open source, or certain products. Normally so it will be up faster. Personally if I had a client that wanted me to do so, I would refuse it.
If said software is reliable and stable, why would you refuse building upon it? It's your loss.

If you want to be completely independent, that's fine. Just don't go around bashing other people simply because they choose to use software that was prebuilt.
__________________

__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to burn420 Send a message via Yahoo to burn420
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Hey, I have only bashed one person, and that was it. The last post I was not bashing anyone. The one person I bashed, was not intentional, and I did apologize.

I was only saying that on a hypothetical bases. If he knows what he is doing(or she) then I am sure fixing any problems would be a breeze.

If the software is like Gimp, or something of the sort, sure I would use it. But as for using an open sourced cms, I would refuse, cause if something goes wrong with my scripts, I would know exactly where to look for the problem, instead of; if the problem is with the code, spending the time that I would be using to fix it, to search the code to first find it.. Among many other reasons.
__________________

__________________
http://tetralogica.com
burn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #13
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn420 View Post
I would refuse, cause if something goes wrong with my scripts, I would know exactly where to look for the problem, instead of; if the problem is with the code, spending the time that I would be using to fix it, to search the code to first find it.. Among many other reasons.
Quote:
I was only saying that on a hypothetical bases. If he knows what he is doing(or she) then I am sure fixing any problems would be a breeze.
So, what's wrong with using a CMS? Experienced or inexperienced? What's your gripe about them?
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

I wonder if burn420 is using Windows or an open source OS that he coded himself?
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #15
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to burn420 Send a message via Yahoo to burn420
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Okay my problems and my gripe about it all...
First off I am a big supporter of Open Source... I plan to do my own Open Source programs once I can get the funding for more servers and a better internet connection, to be able to handle hosting big files and what not...
My problems with them, is that I have seen a lot of people who are more then willing to use open source, but yet completely shun open source. Or those people who use Open Source as a way to hopefully make a few quick bucks. Also those who use Open Source, to play off as though they actually know something. When Open Source products and the meaning of Open Source is that knowledge belongs to the people. Most of our technology have been made possible from hackers, those hackers who see that data should be free. Yet a lot of people will take that work done by someone else, and not give two cents about the meaning behind it.
For instance, about the tutorial website, I like that the guy wants to have this hosting place for tutorials, but as I was trying to get my point across (probably not in the best of ways) everyone comes up saying I am just trying to be an ass, when really, I am just curious as to why it is he wants to do this, but not allow any open source material. It seems to me that the guy is only wanting a monopoly of online tutorials (as I hope that is not the case as to why I was trying to get the information I wanted). All he seems to care about is how much content will be on his site that no other site has, not about the true meaning of open source (or so it seems to me). So I go about trying to explain to him what I thought about that, in accordance to me helping him. But yet instead it steam rolls into this huge ass thing about me just being an ass..
Also in a personal matter, I personally feel that you can get a lot more of what you want, and have a lot more control over the site or program, by coding it yourself.

Atomic - Though I plan to code my own OS, I am not yet skilled enough to do so, not on my own anyway. But I am working towards that... But as for what OS I use, I have my Windows Vista ultimate for music, movies and generic bs. Plus I have my server running Fedora 8.
__________________
http://tetralogica.com
burn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #16
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

They're looking for some software to do a job, not to jump on the open source bandwagon.
If you want to spend 100's and 100's of man hours writing 1000's or 1,000,000's of lines of code to put in the public domain then more power to you. God Bless ya. And as the Klingon's say "Ka-plah".
But don't get in my face because I don't want to do things your way.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations
Nor are you here to live up to mine.
You do your thing,
And I'll do mine."
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #17
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn420 View Post
Okay my problems and my gripe about it all...
First off I am a big supporter of Open Source... I plan to do my own Open Source programs once I can get the funding for more servers and a better internet connection, to be able to handle hosting big files and what not...
My problems with them, is that I have seen a lot of people who are more then willing to use open source, but yet completely shun open source. Or those people who use Open Source as a way to hopefully make a few quick bucks. Also those who use Open Source, to play off as though they actually know something. When Open Source products and the meaning of Open Source is that knowledge belongs to the people. Most of our technology have been made possible from hackers, those hackers who see that data should be free. Yet a lot of people will take that work done by someone else, and not give two cents about the meaning behind it.
For instance, about the tutorial website, I like that the guy wants to have this hosting place for tutorials, but as I was trying to get my point across (probably not in the best of ways) everyone comes up saying I am just trying to be an ass, when really, I am just curious as to why it is he wants to do this, but not allow any open source material. It seems to me that the guy is only wanting a monopoly of online tutorials (as I hope that is not the case as to why I was trying to get the information I wanted). All he seems to care about is how much content will be on his site that no other site has, not about the true meaning of open source (or so it seems to me). So I go about trying to explain to him what I thought about that, in accordance to me helping him. But yet instead it steam rolls into this huge ass thing about me just being an ass..
Also in a personal matter, I personally feel that you can get a lot more of what you want, and have a lot more control over the site or program, by coding it yourself.

Atomic - Though I plan to code my own OS, I am not yet skilled enough to do so, not on my own anyway. But I am working towards that... But as for what OS I use, I have my Windows Vista ultimate for music, movies and generic bs. Plus I have my server running Fedora 8.
By Big Images, I assume you mean that BMP you are STILL using as your logo. lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn420 View Post
Hey, I have only bashed one person, and that was it. The last post I was not bashing anyone. The one person I bashed, was not intentional, and I did apologize.

I was only saying that on a hypothetical bases. If he knows what he is doing(or she) then I am sure fixing any problems would be a breeze.

If the software is like Gimp, or something of the sort, sure I would use it. But as for using an open sourced cms, I would refuse, cause if something goes wrong with my scripts, I would know exactly where to look for the problem, instead of; if the problem is with the code, spending the time that I would be using to fix it, to search the code to first find it.. Among many other reasons.
If somthing goes wrong with drupal, then there are literally HUNDREDS of places you can ask - And 99.99% of the time they will be able to help you fix that problem. If somthing goes wrong with your code, then it will be an isolated case - If you cant fix the problem yourself, then you'r going to have a lot of difficulty getting people to trawl through your code. I dont think your point about fixing broken, open source code is valid. The fact is that Open Source script are POPULAR. There are lots of people that know the code inside out, and the chances are you will find someone that has the same problem as you, and has fixed it.

With all due respect, someone that didnt use HTML tag's until recently, and that STILL uses a BMP as their logo doesnt exactly look like a 1337 h4xx0r that can whip up a bug fix as quickly as the open source community can.

Also, That wasnt the first time you where agressive. http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=83024 - You where warned there.
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to burn420 Send a message via Yahoo to burn420
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Seti - I have only gotten in one person's face. Other then that I have just simply tried to explain my curiosity or something of the sort. But your right you do your thing I will do mine. But if someone is asking for help that will take more then just a few seconds to read and respond, then I will voice my opinion upon the work I may be willing to do, and or the reasons upon which that work may be needed or wanted.

j03 - Though you may be correct about receiving help for broken code... But if code is that popular; guaranteed it has far more known or unknown exploits then my isolated code.
Ha I just took a look at that, I stopped working on what is up... Though I thought I changed it from the bmp, apparently I didn't.; not like I care about it... Within the next month all of what is up will no longer be up, plus I am getting an actual domain name so ya. The only thing I do with the old version, is check how many visits I have, and clear my guestbook of spam...
Edit: The link j03 provided, was the person I have been referencing...
__________________
http://tetralogica.com
burn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Code being popular doesnt mean that it has more exploits - It means that more exploits have been DISCOVERED, and patched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Burn420 I have had enough of your beating every body up because they didn't code their site from scratch. You are a dyed in the wool jerk when it comes to that.
Not every one knows how to code from scratch. Most assuredly that includes you. Your web page if you can call it that is a POS.
So clean up your own yard before you go criticizing your neibours...

And mods ya'll can ban me if you like. But how long are you going to let this fool get away with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn420 View Post
Lmao... If you want originality, why not do originality... Though yes anyone can build a site with a CMS, and yes anyone can type out a tutorial... But honestly, coming from doing something similar to what your doing, if I was going to ask for only original content, then I would have the website just as original... Just as it is... I built my entire cms, by my hands, my entire site was done by my hands... And though what is up as of right now, may not look that great, at least I did it, at least it really is original...
To be honest with ya, when I first looked at your site, I was thinking that I would help you with some content, then I looked a bit deeper, and saw that you didn't actually design it, then I figured screw it, if I am going to put my originality online, I want it to me online with originality... Just as it will be...
That's hardly helpful, is it?
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Send a message via AIM to burn420 Send a message via Yahoo to burn420
Default Re: Pre-made vs coded from scratch forum/cms software

Hence why I said known or unknown...

Granted I might not been helpful, but it wasn't like the guy was asking for some simple advice either... He wasn't asking for a simple "how do you do this" or something of the sort, he is asking for people to do work, yet wanting to take the rights away from that person.
My suggestion "if you want originality, why not do originality" was what I was trying to get across, that or at least what is wrong with using open source material if he is going to use open source material...
__________________

__________________
http://tetralogica.com
burn420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0