Pre-Configured Desktop PC Reviews...

matius

Baseband Member
I realize everyone has an opinion and sometimes you just get a lemon.

But what's the point of CNET or PCMAG or PCWorld reviews.

It seems every PC with a 8+ rating has user opinions on average of 5.5-. I realize *maybe* these reviews are tainted by business offerings, but I can't get a good read on any review anywhere in my price range.

I need something quick, quiet and powerful for around 1K USD. It's for audio production so I have to be able to replace the sound card and expand the memory.

I think with Dell if you open the case your warranty is removed?

I guess I am asking if anyone can give some suggestions from experience on how I can find a good computer...brands/models ideas would not be turned away.

Thanks for any help.

I'll be honest with you... I perfer custom PCs. If you want something specifically tailored with all those features you just listed, I would suggest you get your PC built.

those websites are paid off by the likes of dell,hp, etc! they pay them big bucks to review thier pcs to amke them the best. if they dont then dell dotn pay them. why elese do you think dell would come up on top! everyone knows how bad they are hell even the people that worked at my apartment leasing center hated them and was on the phone with them and got real mad. since dell gave the the wrong pcs!!! then they switched to custom pcs and were much happier!!!

Right. I guess there is no way around it but, are there any sites you could recommend where I can piece together a custom set?

I appreciate the vote of confidence mammikoura, I wish I had the time to do that...

At any rate, I too think customizing is the best option...but w/ limited knowledge, I'll need some help. What do you think about this setup/price:

1. Case: 100588 - PS 450W - Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet
2. Case Fan: 100873 - 80mm - Antec 80mm Quiet Case Fan
3. Motherboard: 110806 - Asus A8V K8T800 Pro No-WiFi/Audio/GB-LAN/
4. Processor: 120210 - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 512K 90nm Rev. E Veni
5. Thermal Grease: 800018 - Shin-Etsu G675 Thermal Grease (Cools CPU
6. Heat Sink Fan: 130150 - Thermaltake A1772 AMD Recommended for Opt
7. Memory: 140218 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB Corsair
8. Hard Drive: 150245 - SATA3G - Western Digital Caviar SE 200 GB
9. Floppy Drive: 170104 - Sony 1.44MB 3.5" (Black) Floppy Drive
10. Video Card: 190656 - ATI (Sapphire) 9600XT 256 MB DDR/8X-AGP/T

$827.61

* I already have a DVD-R/RW+, Sound Card (M-Audio - Audiophile 24/96) and Windows XP Pro.

Is this a good chip/mobo combo?

Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom