Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

We should never bend over backwards for anyone, ever, right? Dear. That would just be the end of the world. In fact, one might conclude that if that were to happen--in which everyone ceased to bend over backwards once in a while--that we might just turn in to a society of asshats and assholes.

Oh wait. That has already happened.
__________________

dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #42
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

We are here to stay. Don't like it? Deal with it.
__________________

__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #43
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Thank you Teny. I was actually wondering if you'd join this. I completely agree. I just don't get why people can't accept that.

People don't understand that there will never be a regulation for language in the U.S. So if you can't "beat them" so-to-speak, why would you continue to hold a grudge? Because either a) you are an asshole or b) you have no sense of logic.
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #44
In Runtime
 
lewblue83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 225
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

its not worth it, edited. im done with this convo.

people scream about equality but when someone has a different opinion theyre automatically an "asshat/asshole"


PLLLLLLLLEEASSSEEE
lewblue83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #45
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Now are you actually done? You have said that earlier in the thread, and yet, you keep coming back.

I don't see what's so bad about having multiple languages. Last I remember, it's best to be multi-lingual, especially in today's world.
Japan doesn't have a national language either, and they have to learn English along with Japanese now. Hong Kong's official languages are Cantonese and English. So if you go to those 2 places, you will get by if you only know English. India has over 20 languages (or so I was told), and English is one of them.

I want to learn a new language, even though I know 2 (kind of, I can only speak Cantonese, I can't write or read). Problem stopping me is self-motivation.
__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #46
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewblue83 View Post
this is an EXAMPLE. i was on unemployment before. it was GREAT. i got paid to sit on my ass for 7 months. there was literally NO MOTIVATION for me to go find a job. which is why unemployment sucks, and needs reform ASAP. its another socialist program bankrupting the country. so is social security.
I assume you;re not on benefits now?

why not?

personal satisfaction of actually getting a job?

benefit systems should be provided as welfare safety nets, they should be there as a matter of course in most developed countries.
they should allow people, and their families if they have to support them to live perhaps not well, but comfortably in their times of need.

however, people should have enough self respect to find themselves a job.

it's not the system that's wrong it's the people that's wrong

Quote:
NOW listen. if you begin to bend over backwards for everyone with a language barrier, there will be no motivation for them to learn the language that EVERYONE speaks in the United States. So they will ALWAYS need a translator, and it may even prevent them from getting certain jobs.
I disagree, I think that official documents, SHOULD come in different languages, documents that could actually make a difference to people should come in all languages requested, the fact that perhaps 20%, even 10% of the country, (that'd be 1 in five o 1 in ten) might speak Spanish as a first language is a significant enough proportion that a second piece of paper could be printed ready...

it's not like people are suggesting that all languages in the world should be immediately available is it?

that said, I think that this is the same problem as in the welfare situation that you posted above, I personally believe that if you go to live somewhere where the majority of people speak a certain language you should really feel bound to at least try and speak that language. other people can accommodate you, but personally I'd feel bad always needing people to make an exception for me, or to go out of their way for me.

we've talked about this before.

personally I think that if I moved to a country I'd be too ashamed that I had to rely on other people to bend over backwards to help me, I'd be ashamed that I couldn't do the simplest of things, like take my car to the garage, or whatever without a translator that I'd soon find myself a course on learning that language.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #47
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewblue83 View Post
its not worth it, edited. im done with this convo.

people scream about equality but when someone has a different opinion theyre automatically an "asshat/asshole"


PLLLLLLLLEEASSSEEE
I havent seen anyone in this thread calling you or anyone else an asshat neither an asshole . I have seen you asking someone if they are retarded on purpose however which is something that may be particularly offensive .
I would put it to you that your the one with the attitude problem in this thread clearly you cant cope with people calling you out on your opinions which seem to be backed by what some would consider poor logic

If you cant share your opinion and cope reasonably with other people disagreeing with you then maybe this thread isnt the best place for you to be its just an idea
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #48
In Runtime
 
lewblue83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 225
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
Now are you actually done? You have said that earlier in the thread, and yet, you keep coming back.

I don't see what's so bad about having multiple languages. Last I remember, it's best to be multi-lingual, especially in today's world.
Japan doesn't have a national language either, and they have to learn English along with Japanese now. Hong Kong's official languages are Cantonese and English. So if you go to those 2 places, you will get by if you only know English. India has over 20 languages (or so I was told), and English is one of them.

I want to learn a new language, even though I know 2 (kind of, I can only speak Cantonese, I can't write or read). Problem stopping me is self-motivation.
exactly. so why wouldnt someone learn english here? you just made my point thank you.

i wouldnt mind learning another language. but only one useful for somewhere i visit a lot.
lewblue83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #49
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post

personally I think that if I moved to a country I'd be too ashamed that I had to rely on other people to bend over backwards to help me, I'd be ashamed that I couldn't do the simplest of things, like take my car to the garage, or whatever without a translator that I'd soon find myself a course on learning that language.
I agree , however for me im not sure wether it'd be the shame or the convnience . I know if i was planning on moving and making a new life in another country where the majority of the population didnt speak english i would at least attempt to teach myself some of the language , enough so that i could get by order food in a resauraunt , go to an airport or a train station that sort of thing .

However i wouldnt have a problem requesting official documents in my language at least at first , if i lived there long enough id make an effort to grasp reading the language as well as writing it and so eventually would be able to request official documents in the language as well
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #50
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Teny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 5,957
Default Re: Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewblue83 View Post
exactly. so why wouldnt someone learn english here? you just made my point thank you.

i wouldnt mind learning another language. but only one useful for somewhere i visit a lot.

Now I find that funny. You expect others to learn a different language, yet you are too lazy to learn another one yourself.
__________________

__________________
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0