Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Omnicide now.

Default "Political correctness" gone mad

I'm listening to Walton & Johnson on the radio, and a 12 year old kid just called in to talk about new rules his school has enacted. Apparently, use of the word "Christmas" is banned. Talking about Christmas is banned. Anything Christmas-related (clothes, decorations, etc.) is banned. When talking about the Christmas holidays, thy must be referred to as "winter holidays."

What is up with this type of stuff? I understand that not everyone celebrates Christmas, but how the hell does it make them feel any better if we act like it doesn't exist?

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: "Political correctness" gone mad

Welcome to the modern world. Personally, I just ignore that kind of crap - I'll say happy Christmas and I'll freely use the word Christmas. Likewise for other ridiculous degrees of political correctness. If anyone wants to fire me over it, they're more than welcome to since that's not the sort of company I'd like to be working for anyway. Likewise if someone doesn't hire me on the grounds that I said "happy Christmas" in a previous job, I wouldn't want to work there anyway!

It's sad, but I honestly take the stance with many governmental things (most, infact) that they're better ditched and replaced with common sense. That's what we have it for, and we don't need rules to replace it. Just be sensible and the chances of you getting into trouble are very slim; that's what I've always done and have never had any problems because of it.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Edit: Not relevant
Old 12-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

im not religious, so im saying this from a hypothetical stand point.

In the western world. The native religion is primarily: Christianity. Im not one to be picky about things like religion and beliefs, but in my opinion, if you choose to come and live here, you should have to put up with our festivities. You wouldnt see Israeli schools banning talk of Passover and Hanukkah because there were some non jewish people in.

'Political correctness' was crap when it was devised. All it does is provoke more and heatier discussions every day.

And so what if someone is offended by christmas, dont like it? move away.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectionZero View Post
To preface my post, I was raised very religious, as a Jehovah's Witness until the age of 16. I've read the bible in it's entirety and still cling to some of what I'm about to say. This is personal beleif and in no way fact... yet.

I remember when I was about 14, I was watching some news conference on television with the White House. A question was asked to the effect of "With all the religions in the world, how do you plan to deal with radicals?" The response was simply "We're working on it". This is where the biblical belief is that in the end times, the Govenment (represented by the horned beast) will turn on the great harlot (representing the world of false religion) and ravage her body and completely destroy her. This means that eventually, world goverment will ban religion from being practiced. I see this happening and tension growing between government and religion in the world.

Again, this is personal belief so take as you will. If you wish to read the versus of the Bible relating to this, it's Revelations Chapter 17. I apologize if I have offended anyone as I know religion is always a taboo subject.

Edit: Feel free to trash this post if off topic
The book of Revelations would make an awesome movie, am I right?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
JCB
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
In the western world. The native religion is primarily: Christianity. Im not one to be picky about things like religion and beliefs, but in my opinion, if you choose to come and live here, you should have to put up with our festivities. You wouldnt see Israeli schools banning talk of Passover and Hanukkah because there were some non jewish people in.
agreed 100%
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

Those that have the gold make the rules.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Merry Christmas everyone!....

I don't care who celebrates xmas and who doesn't, I'm Christian and I celebrate xmas so therefore I say it.

Try and stop me.

Just like how they wanted to take the words "under god" out of the pledge of allegiance because not everyone believes in god.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

ill be honest, most of 'political correctness' is bollocks anyway.

I know alot of people from the things i get up to. Most disabled people couldnt give a crap what you say about them. They have accepted their disadvantages and enjoy life like most of the rest of us.

Ive never met anyone who is offended by christmas, nor have i met anyone offended by Diwali, Hannukah, Passover, etc. If you're offended by something, dont cry about it. Man up and stop whining like a school girl.

and while we're on the subject. The only religious people that have ever annoyed me are the ones who try to force their beliefs on others. THATs offensive, get out of my face.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Just like how they wanted to take the words "under god" out of the pledge of allegiance because not everyone believes in god.
That's a little bit different because "under god" was not originally part of the pledge of allegiance. It also kinda forces people to say that God exists, even if they don't believe it.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote