Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #41
Daemon Poster
 
The Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 616
Default Re: Political Correctness

Elton John is gay??
__________________

__________________
playing World of Warcraft
find me on Anetheron, Delray, Troll Hunter
The Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #42
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8990
this seems to have turned more into a talk about national priide than political correctness. (I've read the whole thing at once because i've been away a few days)

maybe the english arent so in love with their country but as a a scot i am! i have a 6 foot scottish flag hanging in my window! and the lion rampant flag above my bed. and further to other posts I do know the words to scottish songs/anthems (flower of scotland, auld lang syne, etc..) I wear a kilt to any significant occasion (recently.. new year, my aunties silver wedding anniversary thing...) and i have a heap of scottish music on the computer! nothing sounds better to me than a good bit of bag pipes!! gets your blood pumpin!!!

political correctness has gone overboard a bit!!.. if you look at some things in schools then you'll really be laughing! emmm im trying to think of one now! (dont you hate it when that happens!?)

anyway i feel this "multicultural" society has gone overboard as well. my dad works in a prison and some of the things there are outrageous. i mean really if i got locked up in a prison in saudi arabia (thats assuming am not hanged publicly, or have my hand cut off as punishment or anything like that) and then i asked for a copy of the bible and told them to show respect for xmas and easter! what do you think theyd do!?.. give me an xmas tree?? i mean really it annoys me how we accept more and more assylum seekers when they are not doing our country any good.
I worked in the infamous Parkhurst prison, in the 70's, & there was an inmate who was a vegatarian, so at Xmas he was given fried Xmas pudding, instead of turkey, I know this is true, because for a while I worked as a clerk in the prisoner's canteen which in those days was in the actual prison block, the inmate in question helped with the book keeping, & he shoved it under my nose saying "look what the b****rs gave me instead of meat"
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #43
Fully Optimized
 
UK31337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: Political Correctness

You can see how things have changed.

The Agatha Christie novel "And then there were none" was originally called "Ten Little N*****s". And chances are you wouldn't get away with remaking Blazing Saddles or other Mel Brooks films with the same degree of racism and anti-Semitism, regardless of how funny those films were when originally released.
__________________
Master of common sense. If you don't like it, stop reading.
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #44
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Power
Elton John is gay??
You ARE kidding??, where have you been for the last twenty years?, he lives near Windsor, in a small mansion, [I think he's worth around 30 million] he had a huge party recently, & ran out of pasta, so he sent out to the local corner shop, & bought their entire stock of around 20 cases, not boxes off the shelf, the locals were annoyed because it was over a week before they could get any, 'spect you know, he frequently tells reporters/cameramen to f*** off on camera, it showed this after the watershed on TV, not bleeped out.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #45
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8990
this seems to have turned more into a talk about national priide than political correctness. (I've read the whole thing at once because i've been away a few days)

maybe the english arent so in love with their country but as a a scot i am! i have a 6 foot scottish flag hanging in my window! and the lion rampant flag above my bed. and further to other posts I do know the words to scottish songs/anthems (flower of scotland, auld lang syne, etc..) I wear a kilt to any significant occasion (recently.. new year, my aunties silver wedding anniversary thing...) and i have a heap of scottish music on the computer! nothing sounds better to me than a good bit of bag pipes!! gets your blood pumpin!!!

political correctness has gone overboard a bit!!.. if you look at some things in schools then you'll really be laughing! emmm im trying to think of one now! (dont you hate it when that happens!?)

anyway i feel this "multicultural" society has gone overboard as well. my dad works in a prison and some of the things there are outrageous. i mean really if i got locked up in a prison in saudi arabia (thats assuming am not hanged publicly, or have my hand cut off as punishment or anything like that) and then i asked for a copy of the bible and told them to show respect for xmas and easter! what do you think theyd do!?.. give me an xmas tree?? i mean really it annoys me how we accept more and more assylum seekers when they are not doing our country any good.
I started this thread, & there's no maybe, as you said, I am fiercely proud of my homeland, ENGLAND
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #46
Daemon Poster
 
The_Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,209
Send a message via MSN to The_Necromancer
Default Re: Political Correctness

Well, I don't think that normal average people should be withheld from allowing to talk about things, such as Christians taking offense to evolution, or the righting of books, or the televisation of shows that deal with issues offensive to some, I don't think that Companies (Media conglomerates) that have a large influence over the public it be openly racist/sexist/homophobic. However, these New stations cant no be subject to outrageous censorship like not showing poor/dieing ppl in Africa, or the trust about government wrong doings/illegal actions of companies. Basically you should be allowed to say whatever you want but newspapers/news satiation's should continue to follow the various non-biased censorship laws, without having to tiptoe so much as to deny Americans or anyone for that matter useful and important information.
__________________
For You
The_Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #47
Fully Optimized
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,913
Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox
Default Re: Political Correctness

In a thread about political correctness you supress my views by deleting my post

I only used one actual curse word. The others were terms in reference to those people that I do not feel I should have to be politically correct when refering to.
__________________
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #48
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox
In a thread about political correctness you supress my views by deleting my post

I only used one actual curse word. The others were terms in reference to those people that I do not feel I should have to be politically correct when refering to.
The one cuss word wouldn't have mattered much, it was all the others, whether they were quotes or not, they weren't quotes from members posts, were they?, I printed off your post.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #49
Fully Optimized
 
Paradox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,913
Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox
Default Re: Political Correctness

You've got to be kidding me, I just said they weren't cuss words.

The only curse word I used was bullshit, That is it, And that is exactly what this conversation is.
__________________
ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #50
Daemon Poster
 
The Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 616
Default Re: Political Correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbuc87uk
You can see how things have changed.

The Agatha Christie novel "And then there were none" was originally called "Ten Little N*****s". And chances are you wouldn't get away with remaking Blazing Saddles or other Mel Brooks films with the same degree of racism and anti-Semitism, regardless of how funny those films were when originally released.
wasnt it originally called ten little indians?? im pretty sure it was. I <33 that book though. read it in 5 days
__________________

__________________
playing World of Warcraft
find me on Anetheron, Delray, Troll Hunter
The Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0