Pokemon Cards...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Are they ever going to be worth anything? If any of you have seen my posts in the RCC thread, I've got a crap load of the older ones. I've got a TON of the original cards ('98-99), most of the Team Rocket cards ('00), a lot of the Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge cards ('00), a decent amount of Neo Genesis cards (late '00) and then some Neo Discovery and Revelation cards ('01), and just a few Neo Destiny ('02), Legendary ('02), and Expedition ('02) cards.

There has to be AT LEAST 2,000. There's probably more as that's a very conservative estimate. I have all the duplicates sitting on my desk and I'll take a picture in a bit so you can see.

I have quite a few promo and 1st edition cards. I also have cards in different languages. German, Italian, French, Spanish, Dutch, and Japanese. Most of the Euro ones are the older version cards. The Japanese cards (Pocket Monsters, I believe) are a mix of everything. Don't ask why I have them. I don't even remember getting them. Must've been at an old card shop.

So. Once again. Do you think they'll ever be worth what they were supposed to be? In the meantime, my friends and I are going to play with them. Haha. Bring back the old days over a few drinks or something. If they aren't worth anything, I'll find some worth people to give them to. I've got a nephew into it, but I don't know if the cards I have are even "around" (let alone legal for tourneys) anymore.

Edit: Counting my empty card sleeves gets me to 3600 cards. However, I had a lot of cards doubled/tripled/quad stacked in a sleeve. So who knows. I had only a few empty card sleeves so....I'm not sure. Until I physically count I won't know I guess.

I would do some googling - I just did to help get you an answer. I've never collected Pokemon Cards, but it seems that the market is saturated with them - thus causing pricing to be pretty low. You might go to a Pokemon Forum and post the same question.

it seems that the market is saturated with them - thus causing pricing to be pretty low.
+1 - there's LOADS of these things around so that will immediately cause the price to drop. Some of the rarer ones may be worth something though.

Well, what I don't understand is, why the old one's aren't worth anything. Are they not old enough? I mean, they were worth more back THEN than they are now. That's what doesn't make sense to me. The NEWER cards are worth more than the old ones. It just seems backwards. That's why I'm so confused. I don't get why the old ones are so cheap. You'd think there'd be less of them vs. the intermediate and newer cards.

The older ones are probably oversaturated because SO many people were into it then and it has died off so there are less of the newer ones.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to have fun with them. Let my kids inherit them. I'm sure they'll be worth SOMETHING some day. They are all just in a tote sitting happily in the basement not bothering anyone anyways.

The older ones are probably oversaturated because SO many people were into it then and it has died off so there are less of the newer ones.
Exactly this - some day they might be worth something but not for a long while yet. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's valuable!

Sorry to reply to an ancient thread, but sometimes you find some interesting threads that are just dated, and we all know that discussions on the Internet rarely EVER die, so with this in mind:

I have loads of Pokémon cards stashed away, from when I was a kid. Aaaah, good times! I used to enjoy collecting and showing off those damn extortionate things. xD I hope that one day they do become worth a fair bit. I have been told by a lot of people that some folks buy some cards at quite a hefty price tag, and I have some extremely rare ones, which pretty awesome. One day I might sell 'em, or leave 'em to any kids I might (probably not) one day have.

Back
Top Bottom