Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Please exlainto me

how HP can charge this much for a hard drive that just looks a little bit more fancy. I mean it's not 10K, not 32mb of cache, and not even SCSI or whatever. It's just plain internal HD. And on the HP website, it says the midline series of their hard drives of the "best" $/GB ration. Well then explain to me why I can get a hard drive from a better manufacturer, with more GB, more cache, newer technology, and cooler running for the same cost or significantly less.

I'm just pissed of that HP thinks the can get away with trying to rip people off with EVERYTHING they sell. Makes me sick to be honest.

/END RANT/

XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Please exlainto me

Simple answer - because they can. It's the same principle with most companies, not just HP - and doesn't just apply to hard drives. Laptop batteries are the classic case. A replacement battery for an outdated laptop can often cost hundreds from the manufacturer - have a look at 3rd party compatible ones that probably aren't any worse and they cost about 1/3 of the price.

It's a sad fact of life unfortunately - but all the while companies make money out of it, it's unlikely to stop.

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Wizard of Wires

Because you didn't look at it for what it is. It's a swappable drive. The drive is sitting in a tray and can be removed from the front of a NAS or server.
Those types of drives cost a little more because of the tray it sits in. You can buy the drive and tray as seperate items if you look for them.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

OK. It comes with a semi-special tray. So what. It doesn't justify the $80 over-marked price tag.
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Wizard of Wires

Check other brands and you'll find the pricing model is about the same.
It has a small drive, yes. But the fact you can yank it out and slide another in makes it "special". Removable drives cost more.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

That's a pretty good price for a hot swappable hard drive.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
muz
Golden Master

Hey firstly just because HP offer this product at this price dosent mean anyone has to buy it i, i mean i could go get my bike worth about 50 and list it on ebay for 3000 dosent mean im going to get a buyer for it

Oh my mistake just had a look im assuming this is for use in a professional environment not a home environment in which case it will have been designed for increased reliability etc and so thats why the cost is higher if you compared it with simillar products you would find the same sort of price
Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63083 View Post
OK. It comes with a semi-special tray. So what. It doesn't justify the $80 over-marked price tag.
It does actually. At least mostly. The market for those is much smaller than the market for standard drives.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to IowaBoy

All companys do this. They make the item look really fancy, then ship it out get the cash...then once the person gets it and relizes they have been ripped off they have to spend like $10 to ship it back and say the hell with it.

Watch Foamy's Online Shopping Rant
IowaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
Wizard of Wires

It's not a friggin fancy ass hard drive made to look pretty to get more money for it. It's a hot swap hard drive in the hot swap tray.
It has a SPECIAL function and will not work in your home computer. Unless you have the hot swap bay. And if you think that drive is expensive, you better be sitting down when you price out the bays.