Photograph Of The Day

Yeah, I definitely agree that it's the photographer more than the camera. It's just that you can get a real slr for the same cost, or a normal point and shoot for far cheaper, both of which would be better for general purpose photography.

By the way, how does that sony handle wildlife in bad light? Looking at a review, it seems to obliterate detail at higher sensitivities that are generally needed to get such photos without visible camera shake. I have a crappy 70-300 (140-600 equivalent) for my e-410 and i sometimes find it difficult to use for birding without a tripod, even at 1600-3200 ISO. Really, that's about the only thing I use that camera for now though since I've picked up medium and large format again.

PA028992.jpg

I have to ride that 60 miles. Half the stuff in there is photo gear. I better get some good pictures out of this. Anyway, i'm off in an hour or so. Be back friday or saturday.

Last edited:
A few shots of WWII aircraft memorials, on the plaza, at the U.S. Air Force Academy, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

My son is a flight instructor at the Academy, and I always enjoy visiting there.

Attachments

• US Air Force Academy B-29 Superfortress.jpg
    US Air Force Academy B-29 Superfortress.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
  • US Air Force Academy P-38 Lightning.jpg
    US Air Force Academy P-38 Lightning.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1
  • US Air Force Academy P-51 Mustang.jpg
    US Air Force Academy P-51 Mustang.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2
For $100-150, you won't have a lot of options. The 50mm f/1.8 is a seriously good lens for the money, but the focal length on APS-C is a bit awkward for an all-purpose type lens. Still, every canon shooter should have one. It's great for creative stuff and low light. There's also the new 40mm STM which is a very good lens, but it's $200.

What's the difference in these?

Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Gray Market: Camera & Photo

Grey market means it was imported from somewhere outside the US. You get the same product, but it might not have the same warranty as a US one. I'd just spend the extra $5 to be safe.

Yeah, I sure agree on that as well. In my area, Grey Market is legally sold merchandise, but the vendor often separates, competents to make a higher profit.

For instance, in the case of cameras, they might advertise a commonly sold camera for $199.00, the battery for $49.99, the lens cap for $4.50.

Every other vendor is selling that same camera for $239.99, and the camera is packaged from the manufacturer, with the battery, and lens cap. All the grey market guy does is open the box, seperate everything, and sell it seperatly. To the unsuspecting consumer, the $199.00 looks like a great price, until they have to buy the other "accessories".

Here's a snap I took at a town called "Buckskin Joes", in the Colorado Rockies, just outside of Canon City, Colorado. There were several movies filmed here but my personal favorite was, "The Sacketts".

Attachments

• Buckskin Joe 5.jpg
    Buckskin Joe 5.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 6
Here's a snap I took at a town called "Buckskin Joes", in the Colorado Rockies, just outside of Canon City, Colorado. There were several movies filmed here but my personal favorite was, "The Sacketts".

Ah, I remember that. It's near the royal gorge bridge, which turned out to be total crap. Everyone kept telling us how great it was, and how we had to go out there, so we drove two hours and it turned out to be a freaking amusement park. There was even some gondola thing strung up along the bridge. They wouldn't even let us walk across it without paying some ridiculous sum of money for theme park admission. So disappointing.

There are some pretty neat real ghost towns in that area though. Check out St. Elmo if you're ever in Chaffee county. There's lots of great hiking out there too, if you're into that. Little Brown's creek up Antero was a wonderful hike.

Last edited:
Well, at my age, hiking is a thing of the past.:)

However, my wife and I do enjoy traveling around the country by car. On this trip we drove from our home in Florida, to Colorado,... explored the Rockie Mountains, and then back home again. It was 4,475 miles, whew! What a ride!

Here's another photo taken at Buckskin Joe's, and also a few shots of Royal Gorge. Unfortunately, all I had with me at the time was a $79.00, 3.2mp point n' shoot, so the snaps aren't the greatest, but better than nothing I guess.

Attachments

• Buckskin Joe where The Sacketts was filmed.jpg
    Buckskin Joe where The Sacketts was filmed.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Royal Gorge 7.jpg
    Royal Gorge 7.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Royal Gorge 15.jpg
    Royal Gorge 15.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Royal Gorge 18.jpg
    Royal Gorge 18.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
Here's a shot I like. These tiny insects range in size, from about 3/8" for the large ones, down to the smallest at about the size of a flea.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
Well, I finally developed the photos from that camping trip. Never going without a tripod again. This is the only one that came out even close to decent, though it's ruined by that branch on the left edge. I'm gonna go back with the view camera sometime soon and get some proper photos.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

I agree, remove that one branch and you've got a great shot.

Here's an interesting snap I took at a local wildlife preserve. I waited almost an hour for this shot.

Attachments

• Buzzard Attacks Anhinga.jpg
    Buzzard Attacks Anhinga.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom