Photograph Of The Day

Took this a while ago.

24g9lax.jpg

what do you think?

Framing is way too loose and the lighting is bad. Also, the background is extremely distracting. Read up on depth of field and how focal length affects perspective. I'll show what I mean. Here's a photo I took a while back when I was experimenting with macro a bit:

P5296922.jpg

Notice how the background is blurred way out of focus and has color patterns that help to enhance the subject instead of drawing your eye away from it. I achieved this by using a very long focal length (about 125-150mm on 4/3 I'd guess) and a wider aperture, as well as shifting the framing a few times to get the background right. It's not perfect though, the wingtips are out of focus because I didn't stop down quite enough. Also, the photo was taken on an overcast day, so the shadows aren't harsh and distracting.

There's really three things you need to do to learn photography. Learn the basic principles (I suggest The Camera by Ansel Adams), spend some time looking at (and actually thinking about) other photographers' work, and of course go shoot. People have a tendency to skip the first two things and go straight to the photo taking. That's fine if you're just having fun and messing around, but if you want to get serious about it, the other two steps are just as important.

*hoping you wanted an actual critique to help improve your photography, not just people going "great photo, man"*

Last edited:
Framing is way too loose and the lighting is bad. Also, the background is extremely distracting. Read up on depth of field and how focal length affects perspective. I'll show what I mean. Here's a photo I took a while back when I was experimenting with macro a bit:

P5296922.jpg

Notice how the background is blurred way out of focus and has color patterns that help to enhance the subject instead of drawing your eye away from it. I achieved this by using a very long focal length (about 125-150mm on 4/3 I'd guess) and a wider aperture, as well as shifting the framing a few times to get the background right. It's not perfect though, the wingtips are out of focus because I didn't stop down quite enough. Also, the photo was taken on an overcast day, so the shadows aren't harsh and distracting.

There's really three things you need to do to learn photography. Learn the basic principles (I suggest The Camera by Ansel Adams), spend some time looking at (and actually thinking about) other photographers' work, and of course go shoot. People have a tendency to skip the first two things and go straight to the photo taking. That's fine if you're just having fun and messing around, but if you want to get serious about it, the other two steps are just as important.

*hoping you wanted an actual critique to help improve your photography, not just people going "great photo, man"*

I see what you mean, and I am thankful for he honest opinion, But I don't see how the background is distracting. I had it graded by a professional photographer, and he only said lighting was bad. But thanks, I will look into this more. Like on your background, you can't tell there is anything, and me personally I don't like that. I like being able to see a blurred but sill visible background. But I do see what you mean, thanks for the tip.

I see what you mean, and I am thankful for he honest opinion, But I don't see how the background is distracting. I had it graded by a professional photographer, and he only said lighting was bad. But thanks, I will look into this more. Like on your background, you can't tell there is anything, and me personally I don't like that. I like being able to see a blurred but sill visible background. But I do see what you mean, thanks for the tip.

I feel like the background is competing with the subject for attention, and in this case it's almost winning. The colors don't work together at all, and there's just way too much going on back there. This seems to be a really common mistake among the inexperienced. I have seen some great macros with the background still clear, but it's not easy to pull off effectively.

IDK, this is just what I think when looking at it. I tend to be rather meticulous about getting my photos as technically perfect as possible, so I might be more harsh than other people when doing critiques.

I know this is from a bit ago, but i am still new here, but...

Here's what the inside of it looked like. This was just a quick polaroid snap I stook, hence the crappiness of it. I took the same photo with the 4x5 camera, but it's color film which i only process maybe once every six months.

EPSON006-1.jpg

I think that the dust on the photo and it being slightly out of focus add to that fact that the place is dilapidated and abandoned. Almost in the sense of things forgotten.

Foothead I think your picts are great. I want to try film but I am still learning on how to use light and subjects within the frame; just dont want to be spending lots on film and equipment and be disappointed in mediocre results before i really know what i am doing to get good results.

Last edited:
I know this is from a bit ago, but i am still new here, but...

I think that the dust on the photo and it being slightly out of focus add to that fact that the place is dilapidated and abandoned. Almost in the sense of things forgotten.

Foothead I think your picts are great. I want to try film but I am still learning on how to use light and subjects within the frame; just dont want to be spending lots on film and equipment and be disappointed in mediocre results before i really know what i am doing to get good results.

Ha, that wasn't intended to be a good photo. It's just a proof I snapped so I'd know what's on the film. I still haven't developed that yet, since I haven't shot a color photo in months.

The best way to learn is on a manual film camera. Film equipment is dirt cheap now. Get a Pentax K1000 and the pentax 50/1.7 lens. It should be available on ebay pretty cheap. The cheapest way to get film is from a store called freestyle photo. They have a lot of rebranded stuff in their "arista" line. This is actually Tmax 400, and this is fomapan 100, for example. The black and white papers all seem to be foma, as with all the "arista.edu" films. You'll want to develop yourself too. If you have a bathroom without a window, that'll be perfect for 35mm. PM me and I can give a ton more info if you like.

Back
Top Bottom