Personal Bios

cb600fshornet

Fully Optimized
Just thought I'd start this topic as a reminder for us to all conduct ourselves with a bit more respect, we're all individuals with our own interests, backgrounds, cultures, and I think a few of us seem to have forgotten that we need to treat each other as we would like to be treated...

So with that heavy bit out of the way... I'd like to start us off!

My name is Joe, I'm 20, born and bred in the West Midlands (United Kingdom). I have a twin brother, am lucky enough to still have two parents, and I also have two dogs.

A bit about me, in my spare time I like to ride motorbikes (Honda Hornet 600) and I fly aircraft on a National Private Pilots Licence (mainly PA28s). I also have a keen interest in flying fixed wing model aircraft, I usually fly a foam 1.2m Dynam Hawker Hurricane, and I'm looking to buy an RC scale Hawker Hunter.

During work hours, I'm a software engineer, currently working as a support analyst, and I am studying a Higher Apprenticeship, just beginning a BSc in Software Engineering at a Birmingham University.

I have a great deal of respect for those who work/have worked in the armed forces, and would love to join myself if opportunities push me in that direction.

That's me in a nutshell, feel free to chip in with your own, your biggest successes (and failures if you want! lol!), and don't be scared of blowing your own trumpet here, I personally love reading about other peoples successes, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

Please keep it friendly, no negative remarks on other people's stories please, if you have something negative in your head, please keep it in there without spilling it out onto the keyboard... remember, it's just another person with feelings behind the screen :flowers:

Hi Joe! Looks like a great thread. I'll pass for now! In my day there was a draft and I joined the USAF rather then being drafted in the army. It was a great experience and I was very young like yourself. I learned a lot and it helped me chose my career after I got out. They can always use good and smart people like you. You probably could get some great offers with your education. These damn wars ; they are ugly and not needed. If you decide to join my fiend, I wish you the very best and that you stay safe. My commander and chief was John Kennedy. It was a sad day when he was assassinated.
Gary!
Gary

My name is Dillon, 24 years old. California resident. Been working as a helpdesk tech for what I guess what be considered a medium sized business based out of my city. I have an interest in networks and am studying for the cisco ccna in my spare time. I'm hoping that will help me move forward in my job here.

When I'm not doing that I'm tinkering with my media server setup at home or repairing laptops on the side. I also do a little woodworking here and there. Not a pro by any means but I've made a couple simple furniture pieces.

I joined this place many years ago and have been active off and on. Been more active recently as I would like to have a community where I can both help and occasionally be helped. Plus I'm bored at work a lot.

My name is Bruce and I'm 62 years young. I'm married (we will celebrate our 42nd anniversary in 3 months) and have 4 grown kids (2 boys & 2 girls). I was born in New Jersey but have lived in California for 60 years.

I joined the army right after high school (1971). I hated the army but was able to get some extensive electronics training and experience while in there. When I was 19 and stationed in Korea, the army was stupid enough to put me in charge of communications for a nuclear missile base!

After the army, I worked full-time during the day and went to school full-time at night. I ended up getting an AA degree in Electronics and a BS in Management.

I first worked as a technician but in 1986 I switched to software and have been a programmer/software engineer since then. I currently work as a senior software engineer at a large software company where I work on a development team for a product that is an Excel add-in to do statistical analysis.

I work full-time from home but I'm getting pretty burnt out on all the bureaucracy associated with the job so am looking at retiring in a few months. We are currently renovating our house and will then put it up for sale. Once it sells, I'll take part of the equity and buy a smaller house, put the rest in the bank and retire.

When I'm not working, we like to camp in our RV and have a lot of RVing friends.

I help people fix their computers whenever I can. Just helped a guy upgrade his Mac computer the other day. He asked me how much I would charge him and I told him my usual fee was a 6-pack of diet coke. He brought me a 35-pack.

OK, I'm done boring you guys to tears now.

My name is Jerry, and I have enjoyed tracking and killing malware for longer than Cynthia and I have been together. I also enjoy self defense, and practicing it for a fight that I hope will never come.

Cynthia and I have had a rocky few years, but we got through them.

Sorry that this is so short, but there is not much to tell LOL

My name is Bill and I'm 65 years young. I was born in Milwaukee but lived most of my life in Texas. First in San Antonio then Austin then back to San Antonio for good.

I dropped out after 9th grade and went to trade school for auto mechanics. I worked as a general mechanic then went into automatic transmissions. Because of an idiot speeding down the neighborhood street and slammed into my truck while I was turning I became disabled with chronic pains (no fun). Since then I worked on my own as a mobile mechanic til I retired from it when I got my SSI.

I supplemented my income working on computers and odd jobs. Now I'm retired for good and just enjoy my checks. I'm tired of BS from the people with their stuff. I don't need the drama.

I am an avid shooting fan since the 80s when I got my first hand gun, a 357. Now I ended up with a 40sw, WTH happened? :lol:

The only notable achievement I made was that I sold a video game I wrote for C64 to Compute! magazine.

My name is Bill and I'm 65 years young. I was born in Milwaukee but lived most of my life in Texas

Where in Milwaukee? I grew up in a suburb called Franklin (roughly 5 miles south west of Milwaukee).

Sorry I don't know. I was just a tot when we moved.

I forgot to mention that I have a twin brother. We're fraternal though. :)

Last edited:
My name is Lamar. I am 47 years old and have been married to my wife for 28 years, 29 come December. We have a daughter who is 27, and two granddaughters (almost 5 and 2). I was born, raised, and live in southeastern Tennessee (about 30 miles NE of Chattanooga in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains). I had a younger sister who passed in 1998. I only have my mom as my dad passed six years ago.

I don't have a lot of hobbies, really. I like to read (mainly fantasy and sci-fi). I spend way too much time online. I used to love to cook but I haven't been doing much of that of late. I do some computer repair on the side here and there, as well as an occasional build for someone.

By day I am a remote technician for a POS support company; I maintain cash registers. The company is located in Texas hence why I am a remote. I take care of 2/3 of Tennessee and some of north Alabama. My job involves a LOT of driving but the company provides the car, gas, insurance, etc so I only have to drive where I need to go and fix whatever the issue is. I handle everything from networking to Windows issues to troubleshooting to hardware replacement. The equipment is rather diverse; for example, I have six or seven different "lanes" or "slices" (make/models of PCs) that I have to keep in inventory for the various stores... and then there are the printers, scanner/scales, yada yada yada.

I have an Associates in Information Technology, and that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. I started on my BS but had to drop when I was laid off back when, but maybe one day I will pick it up again. Almost everything I know about tech, computers, mobile devices, etc has been self taught with most of that coming through forums.

I have been many things over the years, from timekeeper to yarn spinner to lift truck operator to handyman to bandsaw operator to steel worker to Coca-Cola merchandiser to forklift driver to warehouse manager to help desk tech to T-mobile call center rep. Heck, I've even been unemployed a time or two in there. Looking back it looks like a lot but it sure didn't seem that way at the time.

I got involved at Techist (then Tech-Forums) in January of 2005. I found the site via Google and signed up to ask a few questions. I decided to hang around and learn some new stuff. A lot of things have changed since back then and a lot of faces have come and gone. I never really thought about becoming part of the staff; I just have a natural bend for helping folks and helping out. I was actually passed over the first time I was considered for being a moderator, but then it all worked out eventually.

I'm Benjamin. Born in the USA but my parents were born and raised in Germany, same for my brothers. I am the first Holthaus born in the USA. I was kicked out of my parents house at 17. I deal with a lot of depression issues, and when I think I got rid of all that luggage, it comes back worse than before. I'm a photographer at heart, it is my passion, and I wish I could be making money right now. But being on my own, and getting laid off I got in a really bad position and had to sell the one possession that was not only a major stress relief, but also a gateway to my career.. My camera. But thus is life. I live on and try to give those around me a helping hand when in need. I also have given a lot of my money away :rolleyes: :lol:. I don't hate people, i'm a loving person who just seeks a little respect in return. I hate fake people because they have always hurt me most right next to my family. I used to race dirtbikes a lot, I have quite a few trophies, but it costs money and I had to stop that due to no $$. I love to play league of legends )

Not a whole lot to me :)

Hmm, successes...

I think what I'm most proud of is getting 38,000 viewers on my photography page.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom