Pensions etc.

yeah, the british government sucks when it comes to pensions... if your a civil cervant your fine... but anyone else they mess around with, and generally try to avoid paying out if possible... im intending on building up my pension (starting this month... lol, something like £60 in there at the moment, hehe.) but itll build up over the next however many years im working for...

the scheme that im using is the stakeholder pension scheme i believe, so the money goes into my own personal account, which the government, or my company cant touch... its my own money, and if i change company, i take the pension with me.

lol, makes me feel old talking about pensions when im 18, hehe.

In Canada, there's a senior citizen pension, which starts at 65, I think, if you worked or whatnot. There's a "Canada Pension" and also a Family Allowance where you get money each month to pay for your children's college funds or for clothes or whatnot...

Don't know about all of them for sure, I don't really keep up-to-date that much lol :D

mark thorpe said:
yeah, the british government sucks when it comes to pensions... if your a civil cervant your fine... but anyone else they mess around with, and generally try to avoid paying out if possible... im intending on building up my pension (starting this month... lol, something like £60 in there at the moment, hehe.) but itll build up over the next however many years im working for...

the scheme that im using is the stakeholder pension scheme i believe, so the money goes into my own personal account, which the government, or my company cant touch... its my own money, and if i change company, i take the pension with me.

lol, makes me feel old talking about pensions when im 18, hehe.
Actually,Tony B is thinking of raising civil servants retirement age to 65 but it won't get through parliament, the rebel back-benchers will see to that, & even if it does, there will be widespread strikes for months, paralysing the country, closures of benifit offices, tax depts, employment agencies etc etc, it would be utter chaos, & I'm sure there would be another famous 'U' turn.

As some one who is working in the public sector, and hence affected by that change of state pension claiming from 60 - 65, (or 69 by the time I retire), I have to say (and I know this may seem selfish but)...

So what?!? other people in private sectors may have to work till they are 65, and then still have to rely on a state pension.
other people find that their state pension is so low that they have to work past 65!!!

we live in such a time now that poeples life expectancies are pushing 90 - 100...

if you start work at 21 (assuming that you go to college/uni), work till you are 65, you've worked 45 years, if you then go on to live another 30 odd years then what you've put in (22% of sallery for all taxes, pensions are only a small share of that) won't at all match what you take out...

IMO, I already pay into a state pension with taxes, then I already pay a little extra,

Personally I'd be very unhappy to see people only working till 60, (only working 40 year), then living to push the 100 age, (another 40 years),
surely that'd mean that the people currently working would have to give half their saleries in taxes so that someone could retire early...

I know it doesn't work out quite like that, but when a pension deficit is predicted, and we've been told that the people my age (early twenties) will be working till they are nearly 70, why should people retire at 55, or 60 now so that they can live off the fat of people who already have a worse deal than they are getting?...

the way things are at the moment, (with predicted deficits), anyone less than 30 now will be working till they are 69, and there is seemingly still no guarentee of a state pension, (and I'm not talking about a nice fat state pension, I mean a pension at all).

effectivly, people who are 16-30 now will be working till they are 70 and could effectivly end up with only wellfare benefits after that, even hough their taxes have been going to the pensions of people who thought that they'd had enough at either 55 or 60!!!

David Lindon said:
I intend to rely on private and self invested pensions really, the government has been messing with pensions for a while and most people are looking faith in the stage pension
That's fine, you can obviously afford it, & worked hard at college or whereever, well done, but millions can't, a hell of a lot of people have unskilled, low-paid jobs, maybe from having to have a poor education years ago, those are the ones that the Government is letting down badly.

Working to 69 isn't that bad. My grandpa is 78 years old and he stills worksd on car to this date almost daily out his shop. he has a little business, he only does it for somthing to do, and he makes like 5 bucks per job or somthing not a real true busienss. Frankly 70 isn't all that old anymore... Nor is 80... 90 is getting there 95 is really pushing it. We live longer therefore we must work longer.

No, you are right, I don't feel working till 69 is that bad, but I don't see why some people are suggesting that they shouldn't have to, yet still want a regular pension...

IMO maurice is also right, it's all very well for me to be sitting here at a desk saying I could sit here till I was 70, but if I was sweeping streets or emptying bins, I might not have the physical strength or consitution to be able to work till I was 70.

Thers a man in my grandmas town he started working at restruants when he was 12. Hes 72 now, he gets up every single day at 6 AM and gets off at 3 PM. He works 7:30 to 3 and has for the last 30 or so years, granted he gets sundays off. This man is as healthy as a mug. Working longer is better for your health. Even in wightlifting theres a 82 year old man that clean and sweeped 200 LBs. I weight 200 Lbs, and I clean about 105 which is more then a lot of my friends can handle. So really if you stay in good shape, your body will too, granted this 82 year old man was a profisional weight lifting with impectable form. Still age has very little to do with it, its the state of mind that does.

Great Great Grandma cleaned houses until she was 90. She died 11 years later cleaning her house from a blot clot. She was always active, and this is what is believed to have kept her alive fors o long.

Nik00117 said:
Thers a man in my grandmas town he started working at restruants when he was 12. Hes 72 now, he gets up every single day at 6 AM and gets off at 3 PM. He works 7:30 to 3 and has for the last 30 or so years, granted he gets sundays off. This man is as healthy as a mug. Working longer is better for your health. Even in wightlifting theres a 82 year old man that clean and sweeped 200 LBs. I weight 200 Lbs, and I clean about 105 which is more then a lot of my friends can handle. So really if you stay in good shape, your body will too, granted this 82 year old man was a profisional weight lifting with impectable form. Still age has very little to do with it, its the state of mind that does.

Great Great Grandma cleaned houses until she was 90. She died 11 years later cleaning her house from a blot clot. She was always active, and this is what is believed to have kept her alive fors o long.
Have a look at root's last post.
I appreciate that some people like to continue working all their life, I know quite a few that do so, I'm talking about those have no alternative, through lack of funds, this was the norm before government pensions begam, but this is the 21st century, it should not be happening now!

Honselty I feel 70 is a good age to retire at. Most likely i'd never retire. In fact in my business plan it states that I will maintain the prosition of Founder until the day I die, therefore I will always maitain completel power over my business meaning granted one day i'll slow down, but never truly become retried. Also if you make so much money, lets sya 150,000 a year pensions should not go to you. Pensions should go to older poeple who worked, but didn't make a crazy sum of money. Mean reason why I never intend on using penisons.

Back
Top Bottom