Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #41
Guru

Default Re: PC or MAC

I don't think I'd fully utilize a Mac's potential so I stick with Windows.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #42
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denthúl View Post

What kind of issues? I haven't experienced any so far

On my main rig, I can't get sound to output from SPDIF and there's a stability issue. Sometimes I get random lockups for a few seconds and some graphical issues. 8.10 was rock-solid for me.

I can't get Flash player plugin for Firefox to install. Tried it from the terminal, within Firefox, and downloading Flash Player from Adobe's website.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #43
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
It's like beating a dead horse. I've started a topic on this before, and people ended up rehashing the same argument over and over again.
This is why I try and stay away from these. Or at least say something intelligent that doesn't make me look like a fanboy. People that just come in here and say "Macs suck" or "ApPlez FTW!!!1111!!" just tick me off. If you don't have a good argument to make, don't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denthúl View Post
All operating systems have their positives and negatives.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
It's funny these Mac v IBM clone debates. I must be too much of a geek, if I could afford it I would have one of each. As it is, I love to try different operating systems all the time.
That.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
PCs... 'cause they're cheaper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
If money were no object I would run Pro Tools with Logic on a Mac and run my current software on a more powerful PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
I agree with both of you. I don't own a Mac because I can't afford one right now and I don't have to have one, but I would like to own one.
I agree. If I had the money, I would do my home recording on a Mac. But having a Mac that I would consider decent harware-wise would probably cost me 2.5x more than my PC. And I have a problem with not being able to upgrade Macs. That's what I love about PCs. I love upgrading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Besides, a Vaio's keyboard is just as smooth as a Macbook's and the dual-finger scroll is propagated on nearly every laptop that has been out in the last four years.

Macs are good for some things, I will not deny it. They probably look more stylish than PC's and... derp. I can't think of anything else.
Yes, but you can't get any Mac in black, can you? (seriously, correct me if I'm wrong..but this is my biggest bone to pick with Apple). I HATE white.

Quote:
That's it. Why would you limit yourself to one operating system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemangrinder View Post
I don't like Macs because I don't like the OS. Windows does everything I need it to do, when I need to do it, and how I wanna do it. I'm a PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I don't think I'd fully utilize a Mac's potential so I stick with Windows.
This is kind of my thing. If you don't grow up using something, it's hard to switch to it; So it's not that I'm limiting myself, it's that I have never found anything that my PC can't do that would make me want to do a hardcore switch to a Mac. If I'm going to spend $2000+ on one, I'm going to make damn well sure that I'm going to be using it more than my PC and get my money's worth. I don't try to limit myself to one OS (I use XP/Vista/Windows7/Linux when working on old systems or formatting HDDs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
eh scratch both. Linux ftw.
Quote:
I have always wanted to use Linux as my main OS, however there is one major thing holding me back.

I have a very strong attachment to AIM, iTunes and Steam, none of which run natively on Linux. I feel as if when I use Linux, I am missing out on the features which are available to people that use Mac OS or Windows.
This is my problem, too. I love linux. It's very user friendly for the most part (other than terminal crap that I can never figure out for more complex things...or how they list devices rather than just putting "hey this is HDD1, this is DVD1..blah!). But I just can't run what I'm used to on it and I'm not willing to switch to something different for my music and messenger needs. I know that's stubborn, but I'm just that way.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #44
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Yes, but you can't get any Mac in black, can you? (seriously, correct me if I'm wrong..but this is my biggest bone to pick with Apple). I HATE white.
http://images.google.com/images?q=bl...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Actually, I don't think they even make white Macbooks anymore. Its metallic silver or black.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #45
Daemon Poster

Quote:

Actually, I don't think they even make white Macbooks anymore. Its metallic silver or black.
I love how the 10th one is running windows.

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
dudelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #46
Fully Optimized

Quote:

Alright. So one fault of Apple's I can cross off my list then. That's good to know. I was too lazy to find out since there's no Apple in my future. Thanks Thelis. I do have to agree with some of the above, they are very good looking notebooks. My Vaio I ordered is kind of based off of them (you can tell mainly by the keyboard) and it looks wonderful.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
Golden Master

Quote:
The MacBook is only being produced in white. The MacBook Pro is being offered with a silver aluminum/black glass combination.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
The MacBook is only being produced in white. The MacBook Pro is being offered with a silver aluminum/black glass combination.
Sorry, messed up my terminology. Haven't seen the MacBooks around much, mostly MacBook Pros.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #49
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
And I have a problem with not being able to upgrade Macs. That's what I love about PCs. I love upgrading them.
You can upgrade the same components of a Mac notebook as you would with a PC equivalent.

Quote:
But having a Mac that I would consider decent harware-wise would probably cost me 2.5x more than my PC.
Please don't exaggerate.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #50
Fully Optimized

Quote:
You can upgrade the same components of a Mac notebook as you would with a PC equivalent.
I thought that you had to have certain parts for the OS to work? I thought that's why you couldn't build your own Mac? You can't have a Mac based on an AMD platform can you?

Quote:
Please don't exaggerate.
That statement was purely subjective and involved the price of my PC. Like I said "...I would consider decent..."