Paypal questions?

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I've never used paypal and just signed up for an account. I currently don't have any bank accounts or cards linked to it yet. What I want to use is my Debit Card. My {first} question is, what kind of fees are there? Do they charge fees if my account is inactive (I may only make one or two purchases with it)? Are there fees when I use paypal to buy items? Basically are there any 'hidden' fees associated with paypal?

Ok, so I've never used paypal and just signed up for an account. I currently don't have any bank accounts or cards linked to it yet. What I want to use is my Debit Card. My {first} question is, what kind of fees are there? Do they charge fees if my account is inactive (I may only make one or two purchases with it)? Are there fees when I use paypal to buy items? Basically are there any 'hidden' fees associated with paypal?

I use paypal all the time to buy things, there are no fees unless you:
Sell things, Use a donate button, transfer money from one paypal to another.
But if you are just going to buy things for example off newegg.com or ebay. You are fine, there are no charges for that.

EDIT: I too use my debit card with paypal.

Yeah, what he said. Basically, it's the seller (or otherwise the person getting paid) who pays the fees, not the buyer.

Ok. Well what I'm thinking of using it for is donating to someone for hosting a private gaming server. So I will have a fee for this?

Ok. Well what I'm thinking of using it for is donating to someone for hosting a private gaming server. So I will have a fee for this?

Not usually, there will be no "hidden" charges. They are VERY forward with what you have to pay.

No, they guy you send the money to with receive slightly less. As you are using a debit card, the amount taken will only be very small

But it won't be taken from my account, it will be taken from the amount I pay and so he will get slightly less then what they take from me, right? I just want to make sure I understand.

Also, once I pay him can I then remove my card from my paypal account so that I don't have to worry about it being out there (also less likely to use it if it's not linked to the account ;) )

But it won't be taken from my account, it will be taken from the amount I pay and so he will get slightly less then what they take from me, right? I just want to make sure I understand.

Also, once I pay him can I then remove my card from my paypal account so that I don't have to worry about it being out there (also less likely to use it if it's not linked to the account ;) )
Yeah, you will pay the amount that you specify, that is what will be taken from you. Paypal will then take a percentage of the money from the other person. It's a sliding percentage which means basically, more money, less percentage. The same thing will happen to you if you receive money through paypal. Just a couple percent as far as I remember ( haven't used it in a long time).

And yes, you can remove your card if you wish.

I'm not sure if you can delete the default credit card. You can close your account but the info stays with paypal to prevent you opening another account

Ok. Just for your info, I was able to remove the card and thus have nothing accociated with my account. No cards, no accounts, nothing.

Thanks for the info from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom