Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #111
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Piracy: It only effects you if you fu** with it.
__________________

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #112
Golden Master
 
Rubber314Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,574
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildpig View Post
I'm 31. I've never said anywhere that I was 23. Come back and post again when you're a man. With today's generation, all they think about is money. Do tell. What are you going to do with all the piles of money you'll make? All the money in the world won't change the fact that you're an ignorant American. Ignore time.
I'm going to be able to afford a nice retirement plan to secure my future incase the economy is like this when I retire, I'm gonna buy a plane probably the likes of a used cherokee 6, I'll raise a nice family, I'm gonna build a house, take some nice vacations, have a nice woodshop, and basically indulge myself with all the money that I WORKED FOR.

I'm sorry I'm not enough of a creep to remember how old someone said they were, but I did remember that you did state your age. My bad for my RANDOM guess being off.

Please, do enlighten me on how I'm being ignorant, because last I checked just because I'm against all my hard work going to helping someone who didn't put forth any work at all doesn't mean I'm ignorant. If someone worked and something unfortunate happened to them, then I'd have no problem helping them out, but I'm not putting a ounce of effort towards someone who never tried.

And if you have Muz here telling you that you are wrong, and hes a more liberal person, and me here telling you that you are wrong, and I'm a right wing person, then something is probably wrong with you, not us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
You can walk into the hospital here and see a doctor within 30 minutes to an hour usually. A specialist... that's a different story.
in that case I'm flying to canada next time I need to go to an ER. Last time I went I cut off part of my finer, I walked in with a bag of ice, and holding my hand that was covered in blood soaked tissues, the took me into triage right away, and then I had to wait like 3 hours before they took me back to stitch it back on.


And I have to agree, If I'm paying $1 a song thats a bit much. if they want us to pay for them then they should cut the price so we can afford it. Quite honestly, me and my friends are starting a band, and we are going to make our music both freely available for download, but we will sell cds. So you have your choice. And you know what? I bet we will sell cds.
__________________

__________________
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #113
Daemon Poster
 
netBooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
firstly by downloading i am not explicitly depriving them of a sale or profits , and you cant apply theft to things that potentially would be ie a sale of goods not the same principle because as i said if i had to buy movies i wouldnt buy any
I agree with you here, since you wouldn't be a consumer of their products anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
the key word you used there is "Could " if its only a could then it isnt a theft because it is not certain that if i had not downloaded the movie i would have bought it
To me that is like saying a clepto isn't stealing as long as they are taking things they wouldn't ever pay money for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
also there is nothing wrong with keeping p2p and torrent programs alive because they have completely legitimate uses and there is nothing illegal about the technology its self
I agree that P2P and Torrent programs aren't all bad, but I would say that the majority of their use is with the transfer of pirated material which is what I was getting at with my point stated previously.

I know that piracy will never go away and honestly I don't care. Do I think that it is theft, yes and no, depends on a lot of factors.

**Not trying to argue with you here either Muz, just playing devils advocate.
__________________
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #114
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by netBooger View Post
I agree with you here, since you wouldn't be a consumer of their products anyway.



To me that is like saying a clepto isn't stealing as long as they are taking things they wouldn't ever pay money for.



I agree that P2P and Torrent programs aren't all bad, but I would say that the majority of their use is with the transfer of pirated material which is what I was getting at with my point stated previously.

I know that piracy will never go away and honestly I don't care. Do I think that it is theft, yes and no, depends on a lot of factors.

**Not trying to argue with you here either Muz, just playing devils advocate.
yes but with a clepto they are physically taking items that another person could have . and even then if a clepto was caught they would proably be allowed to use a defence anyway as they have a condition they have no control over
dont get me wrong again i know piracy is wrong and i know the risks if i do so happen to pirate something
i just despise it being considered theft when it is technically in the eyes of the law theft because this is just the buzz word the fat cat people working at the record and movie studios want you to consider it as because everyone asscosiates that with the lowest of the low in society

oh yer and i dont consider this argument a bit of healthy debate does nobody any harm once in a while as long as people can keep it calm and reasoned i see no problem with that
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #115
Golden Master
 
Rubber314Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,574
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

T/O: whats a clepto?
__________________
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #116
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

someone suffereing kleptomania
generally just get impulses to steal , not even things they would want most of the time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptomania
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #117
Daemon Poster
 
netBooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
T/O: whats a clepto?
It is someone who enjoys stealing, or is basically addicted to the thrill of it.

For example:

__________________
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #118
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

I'm gonna ignore the retarded aura plaguing this thread and add my two cents.

Consider yourself lucky, if I had to choose between giving up my computer and being sued, it's not a hard choice. In the end the action of downloading copyrighted material is illegal and unethical, and buying a new computer is a hell of a deal compared to being sued for everything your worth and then some.
Fortunately, they gave you back your computer.

I suggest you start using netflix or something to watch movies.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #119
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
in that case I'm flying to canada next time I need to go to an ER. Last time I went I cut off part of my finer, I walked in with a bag of ice, and holding my hand that was covered in blood soaked tissues, the took me into triage right away, and then I had to wait like 3 hours before they took me back to stitch it back on.
I didn't say healthcare in Canada was perfect. From my experiences, it isn't that bad. Your mileage may vary.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #120
Golden Master
 
Rubber314Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,574
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Paramount busted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
I didn't say healthcare in Canada was perfect. From my experiences, it isn't that bad. Your mileage may vary.
yea, but if you can get into the ER in 30 minutes, I might have to go to canada to get into the ER because thats a HECK of a lot better than what I'm used to here.
__________________

__________________
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0