Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

the trouble is that your best - worst list is going to depend on not just your political leanings, but also your policy leaning.

in fact likely more on your policy leanings, regarding what you think was the right thing to do in a given situation.


a good example is this healthcare reform, in Britain our healthcare reform was 70 years ago. at the time some people loved it, some people hated it.

now, most people love it, (even though it doesn't always work terribly well).

but the guy who dreamed it up does have his name remembered as a great minister, and the guy who put it in is remembered as a great socially reforming prime minister.

The problem with judging Obama now is that you don't know what effect his policies have had or will have, you have to wait and see in 50 years how he'll be judged.
to say he's great because he's got a load of his pledges through doesn't make him great, it's the substance of those pledges and the long term effect that will decide whether they were good ideas! and whether he was great for implementing them.
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
Fully Optimized
 
eslfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,604
Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

I disagree, Obama shouldn't even be on that list... *sigh*
__________________

__________________
XFIRE: Lindmando STEAM: Lindmando
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
4094MB RAM 500 GB HD ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 8800 GT
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

nah, it's bush (jr) who shouldn't be on the list, he's the only one who wasn't voted in during a fair and democratic election.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
Fully Optimized
 
eslfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,604
Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Hah. Sure, how so?
__________________
XFIRE: Lindmando STEAM: Lindmando
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
4094MB RAM 500 GB HD ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 8800 GT
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
In Runtime
 
lewblue83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 225
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
the trouble is that your best - worst list is going to depend on not just your political leanings, but also your policy leaning.

in fact likely more on your policy leanings, regarding what you think was the right thing to do in a given situation.


a good example is this healthcare reform, in Britain our healthcare reform was 70 years ago. at the time some people loved it, some people hated it.

now, most people love it, (even though it doesn't always work terribly well).

but the guy who dreamed it up does have his name remembered as a great minister, and the guy who put it in is remembered as a great socially reforming prime minister.

The problem with judging Obama now is that you don't know what effect his policies have had or will have, you have to wait and see in 50 years how he'll be judged.
to say he's great because he's got a load of his pledges through doesn't make him great, it's the substance of those pledges and the long term effect that will decide whether they were good ideas! and whether he was great for implementing them.


apples and oranges. britain and united states. i hate when people say "hey look at that country, they did it, so we should do it too!"

what works for a society in one country , more often than not , fails in another country.
lewblue83 is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #26
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 669
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522 View Post
Live free or DIE!
You want to Die, or live with $25000 perminant debt, and never get ANYTHING because you never EARN anything?
aPanzerIV is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Clearly this list would depend upon which criteria you are judging the president by .
I would say you are clearly giving some political bias to the formulation of this list and as such it is simply your opinion of who was the best president down to who is the worse
Maybe a politically unbiassed way would be to compile this list in order of the presidents who implemented the most promises they made to the electorate or in order of how quickly these promises where made

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPanzerIV View Post
You want to Die, or live with $25000 perminant debt, and never get ANYTHING because you never EARN anything?
you are clearly sensationalizing things a little bit too much and as such id reccomend you calm down about the whole thing and give it some rational thought
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewblue83 View Post
apples and oranges. britain and united states. i hate when people say "hey look at that country, they did it, so we should do it too!"

what works for a society in one country , more often than not , fails in another country.
you entirely missed the point.

I was not saying, we've got it, it works for us and it'll work for you too.

what I was trying to show is that even policies that later prove to be popular can be very unpopular to start with.

the fact is that you won't know whether Obamas healthcare plan was a good idea until 50 years after it's implemented.

Basically, the point is that you can't just either Obama, or his policies now, you can't judge Bush jnr now either, because not enough time has passed since any changes they made to fully evaluate the worth and the impact of those changes.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 05-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

Obama is behind a ton that I haven't even heard of!
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 669
Default Re: Our 44 Presidents Best to Worst, Do You agree?

**Please Close Thread**
__________________

aPanzerIV is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0