other hobbies

How do you expect to survive a Zombie Apocalypse when you can't even use punctuation to make your post easier to read? :D (Seriously, some periods would help a lot)

What batteries does that older radio use? Probably D or C cells. Being older, it is most likely very power hungry. A more modern radio would probably require less power and could use smaller batteries and have longer run time.

I have a radio with a hand crank that makes it so you can use it long after battery supplies are exhausted.

If you want to blend tech with survival, need to get a more high tech radio!

Last edited:
That radio is most likely all analog. It will be a little hungry on batteries but probably work like a dream.

So it plugs in as well as having battery options. In terms of batteries it has a battery pack that says Um-2 batteries on it which is attached with a snap connector. In which in which I unhooked and kept but currently just use the plug. I also own a more modern Radio that was the last radio I ever got at Radioshack. It was also the cheapest one that runs off double a batteries but is tiny and gets really crappy reception.

Celery is right this one works like a dream. Although it only plays very loud for some reason. [emoji1303]

Of course. Analog is always better than digital though digital is here to stay.

Heavy metal guitarists love them analog amps. :dance:

@Brad#1 - If it only plays very loud then, imo, it doesn't work like a dream. UM-2 batteries are C cells which are a little less common than Ds or AAs.

@Celery - I disagree, Analog is NOT "always better than digital". That's only an opinion. "Better" is a very subjective term and it's not a simple matter to determine which is better. For example, in the case of a radio for emergency use, I would rate a radio that uses less power as "better" than one that plays music better. However, in the case of a radio to listen to at home for everyday use, I would want one that sounds better and power would not be a major consideration.

Last edited:
Strollin, different strokes for different folks.

Power vs economy.

When I played guitar, I used TUBES!! :dance:

Last edited:
I partially agree with Strollin but not completely it depends upon what type of Digital were talkkng about like if its a Ham/Police Radio/CB. Than the digital is more programmable and can have more channels. unless its a super old analog with multiple analogs and multiple analog screens it also depends how sophisticated and powerful the chips in the digital ones are as well and how it's programed. The accuracy and power in a radio I have also read reviews and it mostly depends more on the amps output and antenna system. According to people online, Although I would much rather have something that gets broader reception and is therefore more useful, that eats battery power and just stock up on solar chargers extra batteries and so on. In Comparision to something weak that lasts long but isnt as useful.

And @Celery that is an Awesome beutiful music rig! Rock on Dude [emoji41][emoji1303]

@Celery - I can't say whether you personally can actually hear the difference between an analog amp vs a digital amp (I'm sure you are convinced you can) but I would be willing to bet that the vast majority (even musicians) could not discern an analog amp from a digital amp while blindfolded.

It's actually more of a snobbish thing, similar to expensive vs medium priced wines. During blind tests even experts often can't tell the difference.

@Brad#1 - You are supporting my argument very well. The answer to which is better is - it depends. It depends on the quality/design of each, it depends on the application, it depends on your personal preference, etc...

Last edited:
When it comes to power you'll need analog. Digital works on low voltage and are used mainly to process data when analog components are used to handle high wattage.

Digital and analog have their places and we can't do without one or the other. So do tubes.

Take my Vox VT40+ amp. It uses digital, tube and analog circuits to produce musical sounds. The guitar goes through the digital FXs first then the preamp which is the 12ax7 tube and finally on to the power amp which is analog.

Great sounding amp and I made it sweeter with a vintage British Mullard 12ax7 tube.

That tube is $80 used. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom