other hobbies

@AMD_man - Debian is a Linux distro. I could have said, "... a modified version of Debian Linux..." but it really wouldn't change what I was saying.

MS does have a version of Win 10 that runs on a PI but it's the IoT version so no GUI.

@Wallaby_Dan - 3D printers have come down in price lately. You can get a perfectly acceptable 3D printer for less than $200, plug it into your computer and start printing. There are thousands of free model files available for download on the internet. Or you could create your own. You could make items for your railroad layout.

Last edited:
Actually, what you should have said is: "modified version of Debian GNU/Linux". I know I must be coming across as a douchebag, and given your experience in the field you probably already know this, but most people confuse Linux with an operating system, which is wrong, and if we weren't in a computer forum I wouldn't have said anything. Since most are here to learn, I thought it was worth mentioning.

When I got that Linux was the kernel, and every distribution used it, I realized that the difference between distributions is actually not that big. Truly, the actual differences are almost irrelevant. This is why I think it's important that people understand it, especially those interested in using a Linux distribution, such as Dan.

Edit: A few month ago I wanted to buy a Pi and j saw the ARM version of Windows 10 but, I was disappointed that it was only IoT devices.

I'm a pathetic boring guy. All I can do within grasp is what the computer has to offer. Depending on how you relate it, I listen to music, play video games and watch videos specially cartoons. Those can be done on other than computers but I do it on a computer. I wonder if they then can be considered non-computer hobbies?

My other hobby is fishing and eating what I caught. This is a field activity and here we don't have many places at shore to do it so boat trips are the way to do it properly and kinda frequently. The problem is it's expensive. I could stay fishing all the time but day time changes and forces me to go back or pay more for the trip which I cannot afford.

Fishing is more a sport rather than the hobby. It's also a means of survival. :thumb:

You do whatever you want on a computer whatever it's playing games, watching videos, shopping, listening to music, etc etc.

If they can be done without a computer then yes.

I'm a pathetic boring guy.
Both things are very subjective. Perhaps you just haven't met a lot ok like-minded people.
All I can do within grasp is what the computer has to offer. Depending on how you relate it, I listen to music, play video games and watch videos specially cartoons. Those can be done on other than computers but I do it on a computer.
That's one of the reasons why we all love computers, isn't it? You can do so many things with them that an incredible amount of devices have become obsolete. What's wrong with that? As long as it's not messing with your health, you have nothing to worry about.

The Pi runs a modified version of Debian, not Linux.

You don't know that! You couldn't possibly know what he is running.
There are many different distributions available for pi, almost all distributions are ported. And some not Linux operating systems too!

most people confuse Linux with an operating system, which is wrong,
I agree that the operating system is more than the kernel. It is the complete system. But, the kernel is essential to the system, the toolsets running on top of that being utilities etc, don't have to be gnu/herd... This argument that you should call Linux GNU Linux is as old as time and always only comes across like stallman is a whinging bastard who just wishes he was more famous.

When I got that Linux was the kernel, and every distribution used it, I realized that the difference between distributions is actually not that big.
Indeed the differences between the distributions tend to be what runs on top of the kernel, - furthering the argument that the important part is the kernel not the utilities...
But, crucially, you must realise that.
The kernel needs to be altered to run on the arm instruction set, the utilities just recompiled...
So, really he was entirely accurate to say modified Linux, the utilities are not modified, only recompiled for compatibility.

Edit: A few month ago I wanted to buy a Pi and j saw the ARM version of Windows 10 but, I was disappointed that it was only IoT devices.

Microsoft would have to make some major changes to the Windows desktop if they want to get into the ARM business. LXDE is way lighter than Windows' DE. However, if I had a Pi, I'd probably prefer Windows as well, considering most developers start compiling their software for ARM as well.

Microsoft already recompiled the touchscreen desktop of Windows 8 for arm, that's what Windows RT was. The fact that they failed at selling it well, had very few utilities compiled for the architecture and it was only available for cheap tablet is probably a part of the reason it is not sold.

You don't know that! You couldn't possibly know what he is running.
There are many different distributions available for pi, almost all distributions are ported. And some not Linux operating systems too!
True, but I'm pretty sure he is running Raspbian.

I agree that the operating system is more than the kernel. It is the complete system. But, the kernel is essential to the system, the toolsets running on top of that being utilities etc, don't have to be gnu/herd... This argument that you should call Linux GNU Linux is as old as time and always only comes across like stallman is a whinging bastard who just wishes he was more famous.
Never in my life will you hear me saying GNU/Linux. What I was saying is, if he wanted to be 100% technically accurate, that's what he should have said.

Indeed the differences between the distributions tend to be what runs on top of the kernel, - furthering the argument that the important part is the kernel not the utilities...
But, crucially, you must realise that.
The kernel needs to be altered to run on the arm instruction set, the utilities just recompiled...
So, really he was entirely accurate to say modified Linux, the utilities are not modified, only recompiled for compatibility.
I know you have to modify the kernel. However, that's already done, since Debian already runs on ARM. So, ARM or not, the Pi is running a modified version of Debian.

Microsoft already recompiled the touchscreen desktop of Windows 8 for arm, that's what Windows RT was. The fact that they failed at selling it well, had very few utilities compiled for the architecture and it was only available for cheap tablet is probably a part of the reason it is not sold.
I completely forgot about mobile devices. With that in mind, Windows is still developing Windows 10 Mobile, so, technically, Windows 10 is available for ARM right now (32-bit only though).

I haven't showed off my work lately but its still a work in progress. Lots of bare plaster. Trestles are all built and ready to go on the layout. Working on houses and layout of track and staging. Shots below, Wd66.

Attachments

• 20181019_182745.jpg
    20181019_182745.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181019_182811.jpg
    20181019_182811.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181019_193353.jpg
    20181019_193353.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20181019_182700.jpg
    20181019_182700.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4
So im also interested in Survivalism and food and tinkering with computers and tech is sort of nxt to the aforementioned hobbies/passions and so I thought how do i put technology and survival together well i figured atleast in the Aftermath of a Zombie invasion all of our survivors are already educated and nerds like us who are on the list of survivors are what it takes to rebuild the grid and regain access to computers and the internet so back to what I was saying being me who loves tech put the two together and started tinkering with Radios so far i have two Am/Fm Radios and a NOAA weather Radio alarm clock and i plan on getting a CB/PoliceScanner/Am/Fm/NOAA like a Baofeng to customize

Check out my newest addition just took the back off dusted it and put it back on works perfect

Attachments

• IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom