OMG ... Microsoft are way too paranoid

Iowa

Fully Optimized
Microsoft is threatening teenage software writer Mike Rowe with legal action for registering and using the domain name mikerowesoft.com

Microsoft has set its lawyers onto a 17-year-old software writer from Vancouver, called Mike Rowe, because he has registered MikeRoweSoft.com, which the company said infringes on its copyright.

Mike Rowe, who registered the domain name in August 2003, received an email from Microsoft's lawyers three months later asking him to transfer the domain name to Microsoft. They also offered to pay him a "settlement" of $10 (£5.55), which is the cost of his original registration fee.

"I was surprised that they would offer such a little amount of money to persuade me to hand my domain over," said Rowe, who wrote back telling them that he had worked hard on the site and spent money printing stationary, but would be willing to give it up for $10,000. In response, he received a 25-page letter explaining why Microsoft's customers could get confused between his site and their site.

According to Rowe's Web site, which is straining to stay online because so many people are dropping in to wish him well, Microsoft accused him of setting up the site only because he had the intention to sell the domain for a large cash settlement. "This is not the case. I never thought my name would cause Microsoft to take this course of action against me. I just thought it was a good name for my small part-time business," said Rowe.

Microsoft was not available for comment.

----------------------------------

Is it me or will Microsoft do anything for money? They'll sue anything or anyone that moves these days. Oh, and Lord Kalthorn, dont give me any of that "Linux Folk" crap, cos i am personally sick of it. Microsofts lawsuits are gettin more and more ridiculous. Only a blind 2 year old could mistake mikerowesoft.com for microsoft.com. It is getting beyond a joke. :rolleyes:

Your opinions here :

- Rocker -

lol, I shall not bring any Linux-Folk into this - in fact I am downloading Linux as we speak to see what it is like: maybe even start to leanr some programming skills on it!

You may be right, and I'm not sure about anybody being able accidentally type in MikeRoweSoft.com instead of Microsoft.com! But the Lawsuits they are handing out are nothing compared to the Lawsuits they get given all the time big and small by everybody!

go to www.Microsoft.com/Presspass (very useful!) it will show you!

wow, bill gates is sad...............

one of billy's goons comes into his office, and says "hehehe, Sir look what i found...its some little 17 year old kid who has registered a domain that is a tiny, tiny bit like microsoft hehehehe"
Then bill says "hehehe, lets sue his ass, i need more money; im down to about twenty trillion now"

COME ON BILL. U SAD LITTLE MAN.........U JUST WANT A CHANCE TO RUIN SOME KIDS LIFE!!!.

A-HOLE!

David Brand

David-Brand said:
wow, bill gates is sad...............

one of billy's goons comes into his office, and says "hehehe, Sir look what i found...its some little 17 year old kid who has registered a domain that is a tiny, tiny bit like microsoft hehehehe"
Then bill says "hehehe, lets sue his ass, i need more money; im down to about twenty trillion now"

COME ON BILL. U SAD LITTLE MAN.........U JUST WANT A CHANCE TO RUIN SOME KIDS LIFE!!!.

A-HOLE!

David Brand

Hehe. What suprised me is the fact they where only gonna give the kid a whole $10 to take the site down. Woah, thats really gonna get ya far in life aint it. Cheap fuckers. :rolleyes:

strange really, yes I can that potentially it sounds similar, but never would you consider that it could be part of Microsoft when you see the spelling.

A very clever idea for a domain name, but surely not any infringement of copyright or trademark.

Well I hope he gets to keep his domain name, it'll be a good 'up yours' for man we all love, Bill Gates and his beloved corporation.

Hmmm well I've been reading these old threads, and this seems like a total outrage. The trial most likely passed by now, and I dont know the results, but nobody is stupid enougth to mix up those two names.

Back
Top Bottom