Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
Thelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,410
Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Ok, what is the general consensus?

Which PC game is THE best one released. I know you can't really say what game is the best seeing as how all of them are different, so here are categories:

For me:

FPS: HL/CS:S
Tactical Shooters: CoD 1
Racing: ?
RPG: Oblivion
RTS: ?

Best game overall: CS:S
__________________

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

the first unreal tournement blows both HL and CS:S out of the water dude!
__________________

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
BSOD
 
rot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

call of duty isnt tactical, you just run forward and hope the AI keep up with you. real tactics are stuff like Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear which meant you had to plan the mission in perfect detail with waypoints, what to do when your team reached a certain door etc., it was hugely realistic and even former american SWAT team members were saying that.

FPS: Unreal Tournament 2004/Battlefield 2
Tactical Shooters: America's Army / RB:Rogue Spear
Racing: Grand Prix 2/3
RPG: don't play them
RTS: Warcraft III or StarCraft (never played it) or the Westwood C&C games because the EA developed ones suck

Best game overall: Pong
rot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot13 View Post
call of duty isnt tactical, you just run forward and hope the AI keep up with you. real tactics are stuff like Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear which meant you had to plan the mission in perfect detail with waypoints, what to do when your team reached a certain door etc., it was hugely realistic and even former american SWAT team members were saying that.

FPS: Unreal Tournament 2004/Battlefield 2
Tactical Shooters: America's Army / RB:Rogue Spear
Racing: Grand Prix 2/3
RPG: don't play them
RTS: Warcraft III or StarCraft (never played it) or the Westwood C&C games because the EA developed ones suck

Best game overall: Pong
the westwood ones were mostly FPS and other crappy ones, the EA ones are way better, bet you havent even played them..

also UT2004 is good but not better than the original one. also AA isnt that good of a game, its just good because its free
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

I don't game much and I'm probably gonna get laughed at for this but I think the best overall game is GTA Vice City.

I've never played CS:S but it looks like a cool game, I might get it one of these days.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
BSOD
 
rot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
the westwood ones were mostly FPS and other crappy ones, the EA ones are way better, bet you havent even played them..
Westwood only ever made one C&C FPS called Renegade. The original command and conquer set the standard which the others all followed.

And I hope you didnt bet any money because I own Generals and Tiberium Wars legally so yes I have played them and yes Generals sucks balls because its unbalanced, buggy and totally different from the other games. The fanboys hated it which is why Tiberium Wars is basically red alert 2 with better graphics i.e. its gone back to its roots.

And this thread is about personal opinion so kindly dont tell me my choices suck. America's Army is great but you probably havent played it and dont appreciate real tactics and teamwork.
rot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

FPS - Hard to say, but I'd have to say Doom or Quake. Those were the first games start the whole FPS craze. It's notable that Quake is also the first game where players actually needed a dedicated GPU.

Tactical Shooters - Rainbow Six 3 & Vegas, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 or Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. Those are true tactical shooters if you ask me. Call of Duty is a fun series, but it's more of a run and gun shooter and there aren't much in the way of tactics since you can't command anyone. True tactical shooters involve the ability to command your teammates around the battlefield with maneuvers like flanking and suppression fire etc.

Racing - Forza Motorsport 2. Gran Turismo may be the granddaddy of all racing simulators, but Forza is the new and improved daddy in the block. The physics and damage are very nicely simulated and are actually very close to real life.

Role-Playing Game - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Hands down the best and most addicting RPG I've ever played. World of Warcraft can go kiss my asian ass, but Oblivion is just awesome. The level of open ended gameplay and interactivity is just astounding. Because of this game, Bethesda Softworks is easily one of the best developers in my book. Heh, I have over 200 hours of Oblivion logged in my XFire account. Yes, it's that fun.

Real Time Strategy - Company of Heroes. A graphically amazing game with insanely simple gameplay. Commanding troops is very easy and everything has a very tactical sense to it. Relic did a great job with this game and I definately can't wait for the expansion pack.

Overall - Hard to say, but Oblivion definately has be hooked. I've never found such a game where I could get sucked into it for hours and not stop. It's not a perfect game, but it's damned close.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot13 View Post
Westwood only ever made one C&C FPS called Renegade. The original command and conquer set the standard which the others all followed.

And I hope you didnt bet any money because I own Generals and Tiberium Wars legally so yes I have played them and yes Generals sucks balls because its unbalanced, buggy and totally different from the other games. The fanboys hated it which is why Tiberium Wars is basically red alert 2 with better graphics i.e. its gone back to its roots.

And this thread is about personal opinion so kindly dont tell me my choices suck. America's Army is great but you probably havent played it and dont appreciate real tactics and teamwork.
ROFL i want to be a Delta Force Operator or a SWAT Officer but im sure your going to have to google that to know what that is, i appreciate tatics more than anything else on the battlefield, all you ever do is argue argue argue, seriously shut up and argue with someone who really cares.

also C&C Generals is 100% different from all the other games and thats why the fanyboys hated it, overall its a good game you cant deny the fact more people liked it than not.
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

Yeah fanboys hate change . Thats why when a game changes dramaticly they throw their dummys out of the pram and waffle shit about how this is different i dont like it. Huh what do you expect , To make things better they need to be different obviously

As for the matter at hand , I dont play that many pc games , mainly the sims 2 , racer and sim city . Thats all my rig can handle
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Ok, what is the general consensus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
the westwood ones were mostly FPS and other crappy ones, the EA ones are way better, bet you havent even played them...
Are you serious? Westwood only made ONE FPS, which is C&C Renegade. It followed the storyline of the original Command & Conquer which to this day is one of the most influential RTS games ever created.

How could you even say the EA ones are better? Have you ever played the first Command & Conquer? Red Alert? Tiberian Sun? Red Alert 2?

After EA bought out Westwood, they took the company downhill. Generals was just a mess and the expansion pack that ensued was even worse. They somewhat redeemed themselves with Tiberium Wars, but even that was nothing compared to the ones made by Westwood.

Yes, I've played almost every single Command & Conquer game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
ROFL i want to be a Delta Force Operator or a SWAT Officer but im sure your going to have to google that to know what that is, i appreciate tatics more than anything else on the battlefield, all you ever do is argue argue argue, seriously shut up and argue with someone who really cares.

also C&C Generals is 100% different from all the other games and thats why the fanyboys hated it, overall its a good game you cant deny the fact more people liked it than not.
You talk like you're one, but you aren't. So until you can walk the walk, stop talking. Maybe if you were actually a real Delta Force operator or an actual SWAT team member you would get more respect, but you're not. So stop acting like you're high and mighty and grow up.

As for C&C Generals, it's probably an enjoyable game in most people's point of view. However, from the perspective of an RTS enthusiast, Generals and Zero Hour were probably the biggest pieces of tard that ever carried the Command & Conquer branding.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0