Oh noes! My Prius is outta control!!11

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
I'm sure most of you have heard of the "Runaway Prius" that accelerated out of control and hit 94 MPH before a CHP officer brought it to a stop. :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

Lots of articles and videos on it. I personally call BS on his story. I fail to believe that it actually happened, and, if it did, that he wasn't able to simply pull the shifter into neutral and slow the car down. I'm definitely not saying that other people haven't had this tragic problem, but Sikes just doesn't seem genuine to me.

I'm bored at work today, so let's make a thread outta this. What do you think?

Chris

saw the same story. Its watever, if he made it up he was risking his life to go that fiast.

Bored at work eh? make a march madness bracket.

He could have also chosen a lower gear. It would have engine braked the car.

Putting it in neutral I believe just sets it to coast, and wouldn't slow the car down at all, like comments have suggested

On a different forum, someone with a prius tried and said you can't shift to neutral while accelerating, so that isn't possible.

This happened to older camry's too. I think the 96 or 97 one.

Shut your damn car off! Seriously. It's NOT hard to steer without power steering. Plus, at that rate of speed, the speed would provide the "power steering" so-to-speak. I used to drive my Grandpa's old Mazda truck that didn't have power steering and was a manual on top of it. It's not a big deal. I get sick of all these people bitching saying "zomg don't everz turnz your car off cuz you can't steerzzzzz oh noessss". It's ridiculous.

On a different forum, someone with a prius tried and said you can't shift to neutral while accelerating, so that isn't possible.

This happened to older camry's too. I think the 96 or 97 one.
What? I find that hard to believe, how can you not be able to shift into neutral?

Shut your damn car off! Seriously. It's NOT hard to steer without power steering. Plus, at that rate of speed, the speed would provide the "power steering" so-to-speak. I used to drive my Grandpa's old Mazda truck that didn't have power steering and was a manual on top of it. It's not a big deal. I get sick of all these people bitching saying "zomg don't everz turnz your car off cuz you can't steerzzzzz oh noessss". It's ridiculous.
Well, Prius' have the little electronic key fob that just has to be near the car and you push a button to start it. If it's an electronic problem then the "off" button might not work.

They sure as hell should have put some sort of a kill switch in those cars. Like on a normal car you just turn the key to the "off" position and the car shuts down no matter what it's doing.

One thing that I don't understand though...what did they do to the car to get it to shut down so they could stop it (he said the brakes were burnt). If the car was still under power, there is no way you'd be able to stop it with another car like the highway patrol did, so they had to do something to it so that it would coast and they could stop it.

Well, Prius' have the little electronic key fob that just has to be near the car and you push a button to start it. If it's an electronic problem then the "off" button might not work.

They sure as hell should have put some sort of a kill switch in those cars. Like on a normal car you just turn the key to the "off" position and the car shuts down no matter what it's doing.

One thing that I don't understand though...what did they do to the car to get it to shut down so they could stop it (he said the brakes were burnt). If the car was still under power, there is no way you'd be able to stop it with another car like the highway patrol did, so they had to do something to it so that it would coast and they could stop it.

1) Yeah, you'd think they'd have some kind of kill switch!! How would it even pass regulation without it!!!?!? :eek:

2) Isn't there some kind of electronic "immobilizer" the police can use? I'm not sure but could have swore there was...

Well it says in the story that you hold the power button for 3 seconds and it shuts down, that guy might not have known that though. But still, he could have shifted into neutral, I don't believe that you can't shift into neutral while accellerating. That's what they tell you to do. Theoretically, the accelerator can stick on any car and if it does they tell you to shift to neutral and then apply the brakes.

Back
Top Bottom