Offer Exclusively for CF members

JO3 as I've said i don't mind if the mods want to move it, i'm not gunna argue, It's just not a sensible idea in my opinion. I'm offering a discount to the members of a forum which i love spending time on. So Shoot Me!

Please don't call me thick, I am new to computing, apart from surfing the web, but I have my own laptop now and not using my daughters whilst she was out. So I am trying to learn what I can about what computers can do, And hopefully work from home using (a pipe dream, and a long way off yet) my computer. Anyway back to what I wanted to ask> What is a Hosting Company what is it for and what does it do, I apologise for being so green but we all have to start somewhere & sometime.

Racboy, that's no problem at all mate. Even Stephen Hawking was a noob at one point at some point.

A hosting company operates (part of) a web server (which is like a high spec computer connected to the internet). Then the space upon the hard drives (file storage) of these servers is sold to people who build websites on them. The websites are accessed via a domain name for example www.computerforums.org. So when you type the domain name into your web browser it accesses the websites files on the web server and you see the web site. Hosting companies are the people who own that storage space and sell/rent it out to people to put there sites on.

Racboy, that's no problem at all mate. Even Stephen Hawking was a noob at one point at some point.

A hosting company operates (part of) a web server (which is like a high spec computer connected to the internet). Then the space upon the hard drives (file storage) of these servers is sold to people who build websites on them. The websites are accessed via a domain name for example www.computerforums.org. So when you type the domain name into your web browser it accesses the websites files on the web server and you see the web site. Hosting companies are the people who own that storage space and sell/rent it out to people to put there sites on.

They arn't ALLWAYS high spec, either :D. But yeah, that about right!

Erm....Definatly not a NOOB......Me is a Newbie, willing to learn, and don't pretend to be some thing I am NOT!..Have read the defination of a NOOB. who speaks NOObish, from NOOBia (read NOOB by Joga Bonita1552), but I know what you mean.
Just reread what you said and understand what you meant......But still not a NOOb>>>..........HA>HA>HEE*HEE

** HOPES tom-knox NEARLY GET'S BANNED FOR PUTTING AN O instead of a ZERO IN j03s NAME**

**HOPES TOM READS THE "NEARLY"**

Back
Top Bottom